Monday, September 19, 2011

GASOLINE ALLEY & THE 50'S DINER

On a recent trip, out of town, we discovered this little eatery. It was chock full of surprises. Inside was a museum with tons of Vintage things. Here is a peek at some of what we saw.
A replica of an old filling station.
A school Crossing Guard
A Wurlitzer Jukebox
A Mechanical Pony
Remember Betty Boop?
A couple of Elvis costumes
(click on them for a better look)
A Howdy Doody puppet
And an autographed photo of the most famous Mouseketeer, Annette
They also have slot car races in the museum. I forgot to take a picture of that.
Then into the diner to sample coleslaw like your mom made
And have their special homemade Ham Dandy sandwich with sweet potato fries for $4.69
We enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane in the museum. The food in the diner was YUMMY. That special sauce really did make the HAM taste dandy. Though, there were a little too many fries... and not enough sandwich, on the plate... IMHO. I guess in the 50's sandwiches were smaller than they are today. Is that how you all remember it? I don't. But that wasn't my biggest complaint. If you're supposed to be Lost in the 50's. Why were they playing music from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's? We did not hear one fifties tune the whole time we were there. Shame on you folks. You missed a golden opportunity to bring the experience home for us.

P.S. I'm having trouble getting the photos to center on the page, so I'm leaving it as is.

10 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Looks like a great place to go. Glad your food was good even though the sandwich was smaller than the fries.Looking at all the things that i grew up with tends to make me feel like an antique sometimes. I hope your Monday is a wonderful one!

That corgi :) said...

What a fun place to go! I would have enjoyed lookoing at all the things! I bet it was a great walk down memory lane; the sandwich and fries looked good. I'm thinking fries are cheaper to produce than the sandwich and that was why there were more fries than size of the sandwich; that seems to be the thing these days, I think.

Thanks for sharing your day with us!

betty

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Awesome!

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

That looks like my kinda place. Love the mechanical pony. I have always wanted one!

Lori said...

Very interesting place. You're right about the music though; they should have been playing 50s songs.

Pat MacKenzie said...

It looks like a fun place to visit. I love sweet potato fries. 50s music would have made the experience perfect.

Forty Pound Sack said...

Cool place! I always wanted to try sweet potato fries ~

Nelle said...

I love antiques and collectibles and no doubt would have enjoyed this place. We first had sweet potato fries in N.H. and loved them. I buy them frozen and we enjoy them often now. Glad you had a good time but you are right about the 50s music.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a cool place. too bad about the music! sorry, i did not get a card from the bowl place.

Bobbi said...

I love 'going back'.. this looks like it was really neat! Love that juke box!!