When I lived in Pittsburgh I would make
pumpkin pies for my neighbors around Thanksgiving. They loved the pies. Said
they tasted so-ooo good. Truth be told,
the secret to the flavor was the fact I didn't use sugar in my recipe.
None at all. So what you got was all the pumpkin. And if I do say so myself,
the pie was indeed delicious. But we only have it once a year. And still do. For whatever reason I never make it at any
other time during the year, except Thanksgiving. So that is that. When I moved
here... local restaurants started
serving pumpkin pie in September, so that's when I began to enjoy it without
the fuss in my kitchen. And although none of it is as good as mine, I like
comparing them. Today I had my first taste for this season. For a $1.98 I got a
nice slice of pumpkin pie. And I must admit is wasn't bad. YUM! YUM! Do you eat pumpkin pie MORE than
once a year?
13 comments:
Pumpkin cake looks so beautiful and delicious...
I love pumpkin pie and, in fact, I love anything made with pumpkin. October is the month when I start baking pumpkin bread and I always bake it through the holidays.
When I was a kid, you could get pumpkin ice cream at Baskin Robbins. I don't know if they still make it.
Yes, we are already eating anything pumpkin and love it!
I haven't tried pumpkin pie! I love sweet potato! Most people tell me it tastes like sweet potato.
Like you we only make it at Thanksgiving. I do have a can of pumpkin in the pantry though and may just have to make one soon. Yours looks so good!
Interesting not to put sugar in the pie recipe. But I bet it does taste good without it. I do like pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving. I did see it advertised in the stores already; good sign that the holidays are approaching :)
enjoy!
betty
I don't, even though I love it. I seem to be a pumpkin at Thanksgiving girl.
i sometimes make pumpkin pies around this time of year. i love it!
Taryterre,
I LOVE PUMPKIN PIE!! I try to only get it during the Fall months because then I won't appreciate it as much, but whenever this season comes along, I can't wait to have some. There's nothing like homemade pumpkin pie. The stores just don't compare. Now, I am craving a slice of pumpkin pie.
Love,
~Sheri
I eat Pumpkin Pie whenever I see it in the grocery story. I love it and pumpkin is good for you.
Your recipe without sugar is even healthier.
I make pumpkin cake a few times a year, but rarely ever make a pumpkin pie. Thomas, however, makes butternut squash pies, and I like them better than pumpkin.
I love pumpkin, too, but typically just enjoy it from September-December... no real reason except it seems like a fall-ish food. I made pumpkin bars a few weeks back and even had to text a few close friends about it. It was like a kick-off to celebrating my favorite months of the year.
I make pumpkin bread around this time, once it cools off. I will make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and again at Christmas. I am curious, do you add anything to sweeten yours? Honey? Good to see you blogging again :) I have slacked off due to health but am trying to get revved up again.
Post a Comment