I’m back. Around 1:15am I was awakened by the light on my nightstand coming on. Hurray the power is back. I got up, powered on my computer, then went into the kitchen to take my meds. I take 15 pills a day. After that was done, I got myself a big glass of ice water and went to check a local website to see what had caused the outage. Unfortunately, no information is available. So I’m headed back to sleep. On the dresser… I have a 3ft. Christmas Tree. I turn the lights on before climbing into bed every night. When I clicked the button on, I noticed the lights were very bright and the colors appeared to be washed out. This was unusual, but I was tired and I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow. I remember thinking before I drifted off, please don’t let it start a fire. When I awoke 4 hours later, the room was pitch black. I wondered if the power had gone out, yet again? My husband was wide awake and confirmed it had not. He said the lights on the tree had blown, probably from a surge that had hit the line when the power went out or came back on. I don’t understand how it all worked, but I’m upset my tree is now kaput. As you all know… In the past year, I have had four pre-lit Christmas trees of various sizes, bite the dust, that had to be replaced. They were seriously flawed, with little warranty protection from the various manufacturers. I’m frustrated and fed up with the shoddy workmanship of these brands. I suppose this puts me back in the market for another tree before the holiday comes. That will make five replacement trees. But right now, I’m too upset to even start a new tree search. I don’t know if the power outage caused the weak link leading to the tree’s demise or not? I’m just grateful no other serious damage resulted. I can only imagine if the television had been affected? My husband would be on the war path, instead of me. So now, I’m making a cup of Harney & Sons pumpkin tea to calm me down. Have you ever experienced residual effects from a power outage? Or had to replace as many Christmas trees, as I have in a year?
Thursday, October 22, 2020
CANDLES & FLASHLIGHTS
It
has been an interesting night. My hubby and I ate our dinner and then settled
down to watch some television around 8
pm. About halfway through the show, there was a loud bang. He said it must be
thunder. Shortly afterwards, the power blinked on and off. We tried to get back to
the show we were watching and once again the power blinked on and off. My husband used his cell
phone to call the power company. They told him they’d check into it. A few
seconds later the power went out again, on and off. Then totally off. We sat in total darkness for
a few moments trying to get our wits about us. Then my husband got a text message saying 1500 people had been
affected and power would be restored by 2:30 am. We shall see. It’s now 9:15pm.
I’m using auxiliary power from my
computer to type this. It gives me 10 to 15 minutes to operate before shutting
down. Fingers are crossed this gets fixed soon. Meanwhile, using the cell phone
light to guide us… we were able to locate two flashlights and a couple camping
lanterns, making room to room navigation much easier. Of course there are always candles. Thank you… Yankee Candle, Chesapeake and Tuscany
for my ample array of them. At first, we decided to ride out the darkness,
sitting in the glow of ambient light from artificial means. But after a while,
the conversation waned and we were dozing off. So we decided to take our rear
ends into the bedroom and go to sleep.
I’ll update when I can, later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Power surges can do a lot of damage, thankfully I've not had anything happen, but we do have frequent power outages. We really do take our electric for granted until we no longer have it. Hopefully you'll get another tree that will last for awhile.
What an awful experience! While we've experienced several (storm-related) outages, none of our electronics were affected. Yet ... knock wood.
AMEN that your television wasn't fried, but the sentimentality of your Christmas tree has to be hurting your heart. Perhaps you and hubby can make that next shopping excursion into a date (lunch, perhaps) so it becomes not a chore, but a happy memory.
When we lived on the farm in rural PA we experienced power outages all the time. We lost two telephones over the years that burnt out. Those were the old ones that you plugged directly into an outlet-lol
I am sorry that happened to you and hope you can find the perfect replacement tree. xo Diana
Wow, you had such a night! Yes, thank goodness for candles. I smiled when you said you made yourself pumpkin tea, cause that is the same brand who makes the Paris tea that I had recently. They really are calming teas, aren't they? So sorry your Christmas tree in your bedroom went out. I'm sure you loved that one and it brought comfort with its beautiful lights. We've had a couple power outages this year too, and they're no fun, but having candles around makes all the difference. Thanks to your post, I really want to have more candles on hand if we ever do get another outage. That's a wise thing to do. Thanks for the story, Taryterre, and I hope you have power now as I'm writing this. I just love hearing your stories. It's like I'm right there with you.
~Sheri
That is too many trees to lose! Sorry about that. Scented candles would kill my lungs. Be careful with candles!
Sorry to read about the power surge that caused the demise of your trees, as you said it could have been worse, like the TV, which isn’t of much comfort, I know. To answer your question, when we lived in VA, a power surge killed the electronic control of a ceiling fan, luckily we were able to get a replacement. Before that I had an answering machine that was totally knocked out, remember those separate units? Hope you can find some new trees, TT.
I'm so sad about your Christmas tree. Surges can do damage, and sadly your tree was a victim. I keep flashlights in every room just in case. I started with Super Storm Sandy in 2012 and though I didn't need them, decided it was a good idea. Not great decor, but great piece of mind. Take care!
Post a Comment