Sunday, December 6, 2020

A Handbag and Toilet Paper

 


Talk about awkward. I was in the grocery store searching for toilet paper. Stores here have empty shelves again. Frustrating for sure. Unsuccessful, I heaved my purse out of the cart and then it happened. Another 2020 moment of horror. My purse strap broke. I had no way to hold onto it, so it fell through my fingers crashing onto the floor. Things fell out scattering everywhere. It was so embarrassing. I scooped up what I could and skedaddled out of there as fast as I could. Fortunately the car was close by, so I sought refuge there, trying to figure out what to do next. The answer was right in front of me. A Goodwill store. I knew inside I could find a temporary handbag to hold my stuff. Taking my wallet inside, I scoured the walls looking for the purse rack. I couldn’t find it. I finally asked a worker where it was and she pointed me in the right direction. There appeared to be quite a selection. All marked $5.98 and some $2.98. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw two BRAND NEW, name brand, handbags in the mix, with tags. I grabbed them and headed to the checkout. They both were filled with compartments which is a prerequisite for any purse I buy. So I had hit pay dirt. For less than $10 I was back in business. I sat in the front seat of the van transferring everything from the broken purse into one of the new ones. And left the spare in the Goodwill bag. I was so relieved. Mission accomplished. But… this wasn’t the first time this happened to me. Years before… I had lost a strap on my purse when visiting the Biltmore Estate. Had to jerry rig it to get through the tour. It was very frustrating for sure. Have you ever had an embarrassing moment from a clothing or accessory malfunction?


The NEW handbags

Lots of compartments in both

Broken strap on old  one

11 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

When I was 14, I was on a ride at the MidSouth Fair and my purse without a zipper got dumped on the ride and around it. I was horrified. And, I did not have money to refill it and picked a few things that I am sure were nasty. From that day forward I refuse to buy a purse without a zipper across the top.

Wardrobe malfuntion? That would be the time I tucked my very full skirt into my panties and went out in public.

Donna. W said...

I just happened to order a case of toilet paper in time, then! Whew. I was hoarding TP before hoarding was cool. :D

Jon said...

The local Walmart here in TN is very low on many items. Last week the toilet paper aisle was COMPLETELY empty - not even any paper towels or Kleenex.

It's extremely embarrassing to have a mishap in a store like that, but at least you had good luck in Goodwill.

When I lived in Texas I once wore a new pair of jeans when I went to the supermarket and forgot to remove the label. There was a HUGE "Levis" label on my ass!!

Mevely317 said...

You mean, like the time I wore panties with a brightly-colored playing cards design under white slacks? (*yep*)

Your experience sounds awful, but not so embarrassing. It could happen to anyone! I'm just disappointed to hear no-one came to help you gather your personal belongings. At least you got two pretty new bags. Like you, I HAVE to have compartments.

jack69 said...

Goodwill is a life saver, that is for sure. BUT be warned YOU and MY WIFE and other ladies, those straps only hold 50-75 pounds of plunder. MANY ladies go over the safety line. LOL
Seriously I am amazed at what I know is carried, and also things I THINK are in there! ;-)
And for the life of me I cannot understand the TP shortages, FLABERGASTED!
Anyway we are glad you got a good replacement VERY reasonable. Good deal.
Sherry & jack wandering around in Florida

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree Good will is a life saver. They have so much to offer for half the price you'd pay otherwise. I've come to treasure 2nd hand things that cost so much less than brand new. So glad you got your problem fixed.

Dawn P. said...

I am totally loving the dark purple purse! NICE. Like the time I accidentally forgot I had a RED bra on, under what I thought was non-see through cream sweater???? LOL.

Susan said...

Well I'd say that toilet paper search turned out pretty well, with two namebrand purses! Looks like you were on a "roll." ha ha ha So happy you had good luck at the Goodwill despite the broken purse strap in the store. Have a good week! Susan

TARYTERRE said...

love all your stories. keep 'em coming.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While the TP search proved fruitless, it was lucky that you were near a Goodwill store when your purse strap gave up. Perhaps it was meant to be that you find a couple new bargains than get the TP. Thankfully, I can't recall an unfortunate mishap or perhaps have totally blotted it from memory.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm glad you found some back-up purses to hold all your goodies, Taryterre. Goodwill came through for you. That must have been an embarrassing moment for you when everything fell out onto the floor, but it sounds like you handled it with grace.

~Sheri

ps.....I haven't heard the word skedaddled in a long time. Love that word. : )