Monday, July 18, 2022


7 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Well, I'd be in there cleaning out our freezer right now (at 5:55 am) if it meant lobser for dinner. I am bad about getting on a jag of certain meals that might require whichever canned goods and then all of a sudden we get out of having that meal for a long time and I lose track of the date of whatever canned goods I had stocked up on when they went on sale. The other day I came across 6 cans of Carnation canned milk. I know at the beginning of the pandemic I had bought some extra and I know we were on a binge of eating pasta con broccolli once every other week or so, but I don't know how I built up 6 cans of canned milk in my little old cupboard, but I am sneaking 1 can into the kitchen garbage on the day that it goes out to the can until they are gone.. I don't want my husband to find out about those canned milks, all expired in 2020 or early 2021. Shameful. Other women buy lovely shoes or jewelry and here I am hiding canned milk that has expired from my husband..

My husband worked nights for 40 years+. I used to wait up for him to get home in the morning unless I was working at one of my part time jobs. So I would usually go on to bed two or three days a week, and the other days I waited up for him. Now we are both retired and my husband usually goes to bed at about 4 or 5 am and I usually go to bed at about 7 am. It is amazing how many people get pissy about our sleep schedule. It is just as normal for us as whatever their sleep schedule is to them. Doctor office personnel really don't get it, most businesses don't get it.

I am not good about cleaning the house whenever I have some health issue going on. That causes the house to get so messy that it is a major project to get it cleaned up. Usually my husband helps me clean up around here. This week we are getting the house cleaned up because the stork (a puppy breeder) will be coming to our house to bring us our new baby (a 5 month old 4 lb bouncing baby girl Pomeranian puppy, she's fluffy, black, with a tiny white crest on her chest). Our black Pomeranian that we had for 17 1/2 years died last March, and we are so excited to have a dog in the house again.

Take care, and enjoy your lobster!

jack69 said...

Love Susie's comment!!!!
BUT, wow the lobster makes my mouth water. We will never forget in Maine, at Noonans Lobster Shack (I think) the waitress asked me, "Will it be one lobster for $13.50 or two for $15.50!" What a choice, of course we both got 2.
Schedules are individual's choice, I try not to judge anyone about theirs. I was up around 6am most of my life now I appreciate sleeping as late as I like.
GOOD ENTRY like old Frank, do it YOUR way.
Sherry & jack Love ya!

Red Rose Alley said...

Well, I found your story amusing, as I don't have enough food in my freezer to have anything fall out of it. I usually buy the meats and frozen foods, cook them that week, and the space becomes bare til the next shopping trip. I'm pretty organized, but I can relate you what you're saying, cause after 50 years of doing everything for our families, you can get burnt out. So, that's when I take a break for awhile. Routines are good for me, cause I think I'd just float around not having any structure if I didn't have some sort of routine. But I think people who work their whole life should do what pleases them in their retirement years. I felt for your Mom and Dad, cause it seems that they both had different versions of retirement. Oh, and the Dollar stores sometimes has lots of goodies for low prices. I've shopped there for food too.

~Sheri

Donna. W said...

It's always nice to hear from you. I do very few things that I don't want to, these days. I haven't deep-cleaned my house for years, and I don't care. I think when people get to retirement age, they should do as they please and enjoy what time they have left.

Mevely317 said...

Both my mother and father were highly regimented folks; they complemented one another. While I'm most comfortable abiding by an agenda, all that went by the way after retirement. That, and b/c Tom's got his days and nights mixed up, I'm learning to find solo activities that capture my interest.

Our freezer isn't nearly so large as to disguise foodstuffs, but man what a bounty you discovered. Enjoy every bite!

Practical Parsimony said...

I sleep when I can. I want to sleep at night, but that does not always work out. My freezer is packed. I have no idea anymore what is in there...lol. I am now paying a woman to come three hours a week to get the house in shape to clean. She cannot vacuum until we find the floors. We do cook and wash dishes. We like to eat and eat home-cooked food. But, I am tired of it all.

We cook meat on one day and cook four or five things in the oven and on the stove. Then, another day or two I cook lots of vegetables so we can choose meals to microwave. Tommy seems to like it and even stands at the stove chopping ground beef or ground pork. Some days, I cook a meat in a cooking bag with lots of vegetables. As long as zucchini shows up often, he seems to be happy.

I hope you do well, both you and your husband.

Buttercup said...

I have a structure, but it's my structure. I do sleep in sometimes, but after decades of very orderly jobs, it's my pleasure. I love my mornings with coffee and the Today Show. I've been grocery shopping at the Dollar Store for years and have found some great deals. Some things are more expensive, but I read expiration dates and have found really good deals, including $1.99 for things that are five dollars at the grocery. Enjoy your lobster tails.