Monday, March 15, 2010

LUCK OF THE IRISH

The other day I went to Walmart and what to my wandering eyes did appear… but a GREEN felt hat with a BIG sequined SHAMROCK on the front. Immediately enamoured, I decided I had to have it. It was perfect to help celebrate St. Patricks Day. It would go in my closet and join the other holiday hats I have. Some are antiques. Anyway… I finished shopping and took my merchandise to the front register and checked out. As I was pushing the cart, with the bag in it, towards my car… my cell-phone rang. It was my husband checking to see when I’d be home. We got into a conversation, as I stepped in my car and drove off. I was about a mile away before I realized I had forgotten to take the bag, from the cart. I hastily did a U-TURN in the middle of the road and headed back to the store. The cart was not where I left it. I went inside to see if someone had turned in the bag, with the hat and receipt. Surprise! Surprise! Nobody had. Someone had simply taken it from the cart in the parking lot. What a LUCKY find for them. I was mad. First… at myself, for leaving it… then, at my husband for distracting me, and finally, at the person who found the hat. Didn’t they think someone would MISS it and come back to get it. What gave them the right to just take it. I wouldn’t have kept the hat. Would you? It put a damper on my spirits. And reminded me of another incident, years ago in Chicago. I wore my favorite TARA brooch to a concert there. It was made with beautiful crystals and Irish Connemara marble. Sometime during the show or after… the clasp must have worked open and I lost this precious piece of jewelry. I cried for days, knowing it could never be replaced.. I wonder why things happen the way they do? Apparently the LUCK of the IRISH was NOT with me that day, either. No blarney. I’m Irish. My great grandmother, on my father’s side was born in County Cork, Ireland. She came to America on a big boat with her family, my family… back in the 1800’s. And the rest is history. Every year for St. Patrick’s Day… we celebrate by wearing green, dancing a jig, singing songs and eating corned beef and cabbage. Personally, I like boxty, instead. They’re Irish potato pancakes. I love mine wrapped with veggies… asparagus, onions, peppers, mushrooms that have been sautéed in Guinness, a classic Irish stout. You then top it, with a creamy pesto. You could add lamb, steak or chicken to the wrap, for a heartier meal. There’s an old Irish poem that says… “Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, if you can't make boxty, you'll never get a man.” Something I don’t have to worry about... I can cook and I'm married. Traditional foods, family history and holiday celebrations, aside... I want to know why I didn’t inherit the GOOD LUCK of my people. Where’s my hat? Where’s my pin? Where's a leprechaun, when you need one?

4 comments:

LYN said...

LOVED THIS POST BUT HATE THAT SOMEONE TOOK YOUR BAG!! MY BIRTHDAY IS THE DAY AFTER ST PADDY'S DAY! THERE WAS A TIME WHEN THIS WHOLE WEEK WAS ONE BIG PARTY...LOL

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Sorry that someone honest did not find the bag. Have a happy paddies day :o)

Nelle said...

Rob and I have the worst luck and we are both Irish. You read all that happened to us in the past few months. I bought my sainted grandmother the most beautiful pin. It had opals and they were surrounded by a gold lace .. it was a tiny bouquet of flowers. She would rarely wear it, always afraid of losing it. Last year she gave it to me and told me that she wanted me to have it. She passed away Oct 14 and I treasure it and now I understand about being afraid to wear it but I know that I will on Mother's Day and her birthday. We have the corned beef and cabbage and I make Irish soda bread for us and often neighbors. There is a website of a man in New York state who handmakes Celtic jewelery. I have a heart necklace and I bought Rob some tie tacks and cufflinks.
Sorry about the hat but, in good Irish tradition it gave you a tale to tell. :)

Lori said...

Awww, what a shame. I would NOT have taken it, but would have turned it in to the store. That is really too bad. I am Irish on my mother's side, but boxty is new to me. I'm going to have to try it sometime. Thank you for visiting my blog recently, and I hope you come back. I have really been enjoying yours and now have it on my reading list.