Monday, November 8, 2010

KNEE- HIGH

I am knee-high to a grasshopper. And all my life, it’s been a problem. When I was young it was cute to be diminutive, but now that I’m a senior citizen it isn’t. I swear I’ve shrunk. Clothes don’t fit me, anymore. Particularly, pants. Every pair I buy, needs to be taken up, at least four inches. Even the ones marked SHORT. It’s ridiculous. The same thing is true for all skirts and dresses too. In the old days, I did the tailoring myself. Now I can’t manage it. My fingers go numb, trying to hold the needle and thread and I can barely see, on top of that. So I take everything out to be done. The local seamstress sees me coming. My tailoring costs are enormous. I swear she bought a new car, last year because of me. To add insult to injury, I have other problems, as a short person. Reaching high shelves or display racks is also an issue. Most the cabinet space in my kitchen is off limits to me. When I was younger, I’d just climb up on a chair, stepstool or ladder to get what I wanted. But with two bad knees and arthritis, I can no longer do that. I have to ask my hubby for help. And you can forget that. He’s older and has more problems than I do. He has vertigo and isn’t climbing up on anything, either. So, we just make do with what we have at eye level. His and mine. And that means avoiding the second, third and fourth shelves in my cupboards. I’ve probably got things stashed in there, that are no longer fit for human consumption. LOL But what about all the other, non perishable stuff? Sadly, I haven’t used my GOOD china in over eight years. It’s tucked away on the third shelf, in the corner of the room, making it impossible to reach with unsteady legs and hands. Putting it there, when I was spry seemed like a good idea at the time. But in retrospect it wasn’t. It’s hard to know when my size is going to affect me, adversely. Another example is traveling. Recently when I had occasion to stay at a hotel, I almost panicked when I realized the bed was too high for me to sit on, much less sleep on. I had to pull the desk chair over and perform an acrobatic act just to reach it. God forbid, if I had to get up during the night, once I was tucked in. I would have fallen on my butt, maybe even injured myself. Truth is… when you’re short, life is jammed packed with obstacles, and everyday becomes a challenge.

5 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Vertical challenges are a fact of life, I live it every day with my wife :o)

Monica said...

I thought the problem was that the younger generations are just TALLER than they were before. Not that I'm short or shrinking. How tall (or short) are you? I'm 5'4.5" and I seem to be in between short and regular sizes!

Nelle said...

I was 5 2 until last year when they told me I am now 5 1. I always wore petites my entire life but as I gained weight and needed womens sizes this was a real problem. I have never bought pants/jeans/slacks that I did not have to get hemmed. Frustrating.

Lori said...

I'm 5 feet tall -- well, I may actually be shorter than that now -- so I can sympathize!

TARYTERRE said...

I have shrunk. Nowadays... if I stand on my tiptoes, I might reach five feet. I used to be 1 3/4 inches taller.