Sunday, March 18, 2012

A MOVIE VENDING MACHINE


What is REDBOX? We wondered? They were popping up all over town the past couple years.  We FINALLY checked out what was inside these CLEVER automated vending machine KIOSKS.  We discovered a world of MOVIES and GAMES. To rent a current MOVIE feature it costs $1.20 and then 8 cents tax. HELLO. Is that cheap or what? Your first visit you are allowed 3 movies. After that you can rent up to 5. Or get only 1. You decide. You must use your credit/debit card to do this. They NEED recourse if you don’t return the movie by 9pm the next night. But REDBOX makes things convenient. In our locality there are about 50 machines. They are at grocery stores, fast food places, drug stores, etc. You can get the movie from any machine, if it's in stock and when you’re done, take it back to another machine, WHEREVER you happen to be. You can also RESERVE the movie in advance. Since my husband has been unemployed and on Social Security... we have stopped going to the movie theater, altogether. It’s just too expensive. And seeing NEW flicks through our cable provider at $4.99/$5.99 a pop, also adds up. We considered Netflix but it sounds too complicated. I hear it costs extra if you want to use DVD's. Plus they have to be mailed, and you have to wait for them.  Which for us, means extra gas money, and a trip to the Post Office, downtown. If you want to stream content from them, instead... you have to have a PS3, Wii, Xbox, or compatiable TV, etc. We don't. Besides my husband doesn’t like to see movies ONLINE because the screen is too small, and the sound is NOT as good. At our ages we need the volume up. Before he lost his job he added surround  sound to our DVD television/stereo system, so we could have a Home Theater. But alas, the HIGH cost of movies prevented us from using it, except for TV Shows. So REDBOX has filled a void in our lives.  In the past three weeks we’ve been able to see... ANONYMOUS- about someone other than Shakespeare writing his works. IDES OF MARCH- about a political campaign and the backstabbing that goes on.  And, MY WEEK WITH MARILYN- about a man who got close with Marilyn Monroe, when she was on her honeymoon with Arthur Miller, and making a movie with Sir Laurence Olivier. All of these movies were RECENT releases. Since we only intend to rent ONE movie a week, this Vending Machine option offers us the BEST value. We can BUDGET $1.28 into the weekly expenses. REDBOX has brought ‘affordable’ entertainment back into the lives of a couple of old geezers. It's SIMPLE and straightforward. Going to the movies has NEVER been this much FUN. We pop our own popcorn, set our own hours for the show... and don’t have to pay an arm and a leg to see it. Who can ask for anything more?

26 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Going to the movies is expensive. I haven't been to one in years now. Glad you have something there that provides some inexpensive entertainment. More than anything I read in the evenings. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday. I can hear thunder outside right now so I guess we'll be having some rain today.

Unknown said...

I haven’t been to the movies in a long time. Unless I really want to see the movie I will wait until it is released on DVD. I do use the Blockbuster@home service through my provider DISH instead of Redbox, because I can get new releases 28 days before Redbox. A co-worker at DISH told me to try it out because you get mail-in DVD’s plus streaming. I love it and I pay only $10 a month. My favorite thing about it is that I don’t have to leave my house to get a movie and I have one bill for all my entertainment choices. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to have the streaming on my new receiver the Hopper, but it is compatible with the service.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow that is good to know I always wondered what redbox was all about...we don't have a lot by us and there is always a line up at our grocery store! We never go to movies too expensive and this is worth looking into!

Lucy said...

We don't have them here that I have notices, but we don't go downtown or the malls much anymore. It is right that it is cheaper. Really any way you want to look at it, it is cheaper that going to a theatre. Take care. Hop[e you celebrated St. Patricks day and enjoyed it.

RoeH said...

I've toyed with stopping Netflix and going into the red boxes. I could probably do better with the boxes. Netflix isn't too bad at 8.99 a month if you work it right and can get maybe four videos a week. But you have to watch the film really fast and send it back the same day. The dvds actually have a quick turn around period. I may have to try the Red Box. What I do like about netflix is the opportunity to choose many old films which I like to do often. And get the documentaries which I like to see lots of times more than the movies. I HATE going to the theater anymore. Too expensive; too loud; too noisy with babies and cell phones during the movie. People have become just rude in more ways than one. And I simply REFUSE to buy popcorn at seven bucks a sack. And drinks? Don't even think about it. The prices those places charge now for snacks is criminal. Somebody is makin' bucks with that.

Buttercup said...

I haven't seen too many around here, but it sounds great. I used to use Blockbuster, but got out of the habit. I see about one movie a month and generally go to the early show on Sundays. Movies for seniors in NYC are $9.00, and the early shows are $6.00.

That corgi :) said...

We have Red Boxes here too, all over the place like you said. Son has gotten a few movies from them, and you are right, so convenient to rent them and convenient to return them. Great idea for one on a budget! I know hubby and son went to a movie last week as part of "male bonding" with our community group from church (all the men went) and the tickets were $10.50 each. And the water $5.00 a bottle.

If movie theaters keep charging prices like that, I can see them going out of business and Red Boxes popping up on literally every street corner.

Enjoy the movies!

betty

Ina in Alaska said...

We don't have Redbox here yet but I am sure it's on the horizon.

I agree with you that everything is more & more expensive even if you work full time. Just last night Mr. O & I discussed cutting out our gym membership come this summer. It all adds up. I can then play tennis outside for free at any local high school or on the Park Strip & am looking into buying an elliptical machine. Plus the dog walks keep me moving. If I want to play tennis in the winter indoors I can just pay the guest fee. And next winter I plan to get away for at least a month!

Helen said...

We have never tried Redbox but one time. When hubby tried to return it it took the disk but gave no receit.After charging us everyday for about a month even when he was calling them. They finnally refunded the money back to the card. We haven't tried one again. Helen

Angela said...

I'm a Redbox fan myself, but you do have to watch your account with whatever card you use. People in our area were having problems for a while with their accounts... not with Redbox, but with some kind of hack, I think. It affected one particular box.

Our area also has a dollar theater ($1.99 to be exact). Usually right before a movie hits DVD it will go there. Great for the kids to still have that movie theater experience with the high price tag.

momto8 said...

red box works for us! to go to the movie with 5 kids is over$50...never worth that cash!

jack69 said...

Our son took us tot he movie to see "Courageous", a great movie, but just the popcorn and drinks was over $20!.

We are not much on movies, mainly because of my hearing. We might try a closed caption though.

Thanks for the info.

Forty Pound Sack said...

I pass those red boxes all the time and never check them out. You've inspired me. Now all I have to is wait for a rainy day. Oh! And your selections sound fabulous!

Belle said...

My hubby and I quit going to the theater to see movies years ago because of the cost. I think i went once this year with my daughter. Those red boxes are wonderful. I would like to have Netflix on my TV too, but like you we don't have any of those extra things. There is a movie box thingy at our local grocery store. I might check it out now that I have read your post today. Hugs.

Sheila Y said...

My daughter and I go to the movies every once in awhile. They do have a big bucket for popcorn you can buy, then every time you bring it in it costs about 2.50. It was cheaper than that in Alabama. We would bring our sodas in my purse. We go to the early movies too so it's a little cheaper. I've seen the redbox, but haven't tried it. We have streaming Netflix so we watch stuff there as well. Hope you have a great week, Sheila

Soos said...

I liked Ides of March - George Clooney & Ryan Gosling.

Bobbi said...

My hubby is a Redbox junkie... he gets a movie almost every night. Really! Glad you are enjoying!!

ain't for city gals said...

I want to try Redbox but don't want to give credit card number but do understand why they need it. I have actually started ordering tv series from library..not always perfect but better than nothing. Just watched season 1 of Nurse Jackie..oh my..makes my life seem pretty tame.

Diann said...

make sure you sign up for the red box email they often send code for free movies. hope you're having a great week!

Lucy said...

Ihave been trying to leave a comment on your blog and it did not want to let me so I will try again. You take care of your knees while I am suffering getting one fixed.

Pat MacKenzie said...

We don't go out to movies because Lloyd doesn't like crowds. WE watch lots of movies on TV though where we can make our own popcorn and put the subtitles on so we can read what our failing hearing misses! We don't have Red Box up here though.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Excellent you found a cheap source, we use the $5 Walmart bin for our movies mostly, we are not in a hurry to see most releases.

Nelle said...

The Red Box near me is not a place I normally go to and I only know of one. Last time we had movie tickets that were a gift it cost $10.50 for a small bag of popcorn and one large beverage! The tix would have been $12.50. that's a lot of money.

alphawoman said...

I am having trouble emailing you. i have a new grand scheme rolling around in my head and want to share it with you for your opipion! ple. email me at alphawoman1@aol.com. details to follow. lol!

Pam said...

I LOVE Redbox! Every once in a while they'll have specials where if you reserve a movie online (before you go to the box) then you can get movies for even less. They are so cheap in the first place!!!!

Lori said...

We use Redbox now and then too. You can register with them online to get special deals and coupons. Also, you can reserve a movie at a specific Redbox in your area. Cool, huh?