Friday, April 4, 2014

FISH TALES AND PETS


When I was a little girl I had a pet goldfish. It lived in a small glass bowl, the kind you get in a five and dime. It had gravel on the bottom and a tall plastic plant inside it. The bowl was on a shelf that bordered the living room and dining room. I remember feeding the tiny fish every single day. It just took a  sprinkle of food in the top of the bowl. I used to enjoy seeing the little fella come to the surface to gobble it up.  But at my tender age I was a tad bit curious. I wanted to know what fish food tasted like, so I also remember trying a spoonful. It wasn't too bad, as I recall. This was my first exposure to having a pet and I LOVED it. The only problem was the fish didn't like captivity. It refused to stay in the bowl. It kept jumping out and landing on the floor with a big wet splat. Needless to say the goldfish didn't survive these antics. So... we were always replacing it, with a new one. After a while this got ridiculous and my parents decided a dog was a better bet. At the time... I thought so too. Though, I admit to growing up and owning an aquarium at one point in my life with exotic fish. Do you like fish as pets or do you prefer to eat them for dinner?

15 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There were a few times in my life, mostly due to my children, that we had fish as pets, but really I do enjoy a good fish dinner more!

betty said...

That was interesting how the fish kept jumping out of the bowl. I hadn't heard of that before. I have never tasted fish food, but I know one time son ate one of Koda's cookies to see what they tasted like (he said they were good LOL).

We never had much fish as pets, but I do like going to aquariums and looking at them, they can be so colorful!

betty

Lucy said...

I would rather have another pet rather than a gold fish or any fish. Marty had an aquarium with fish but guess who got to clean it. I did have a goldfish one time in a fish bowl when I was pretty young. Think I overfed it cause it died.

Rose said...

I don't have any pets and never did because I'm so allergic to just about everything.

Jon said...

I had goldfish and turtles when I was a kid. None of them ever seemed to survive for very long. The turtles used to eat raw ground beef and lettuce.
I never heard of goldfish jumping out of the water.

Paula said...

Now days I prefer to eat my fish. I had a goldfish when I was about six. I don't know why it died but I remember it was one of the rare times for it to snow in south Texas and I was trying to have a funeral and bury the fish in a match box. Another time when I was grown I had an aquarium. It was snowing so I stayed inside watching all the tiny fish my swordtail produced.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Oh definitely for dinner! I've never been able to see the fun in having fish for pets. You can't pet them, or snuggle them, or play with them. Just feed them and change the water occasionally. Thus saith the cat lover :).

Jean said...

I've had fish over the years after I left home and married, but now I think it would be another job to do keeping the bowl cleaned out. ha.
Take care. Jean

Mevely317 said...

Oh this (part about you eating the fish's food) just cracked me up ... come to think of it, that never occurred to me!

I had guppies for a while - but like bunny rabbits - in their haste to multiply, grew out of control. (They just sort of disappeared one day. In retrospect, maybe I don't want to know.....)

PS -
Tho' an aquarium sounds like LOTS less work that my 2 pups, I still vote for enjoying them blackened with a tidge lemon and butter. :)

Terri @ Backward B Ranch said...

I liked the goldfish we had when I was growing up- but I grew to dislike them when I found out they eat their young. Now the only fish I like are battered in cornmeal and fried.
Have a great weekend!

Carol Z said...

I've had fish as pets -- never for long, sadly -- and we had a big aquarium in the office. Now I'm strictly a fish for dinner gal.

Danielle L Zecher said...

I'm not a big fan of fish as pets; I prefer a pet I can cuddle and play with.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
That was great that you had fish as pets when you were growing up. I never really experienced them until I bought a couple for my kids when they were small. To this day, whenever I see a fish tank, I can't help but stare and be amazed.

Have a great week.

love,
~Sheri

Kay said...

Hi Taryterre.
You asked about the California Poppy Reserve. Here is a link you can check out:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627

Hollie said...

We did have a goldfish in a bowl when Colt was growing up. Later on we upgraded to an actual aquarium. That didn't last too long as no one wanted to clean it!! I do not like fish, but the hubs and Colt do.