Saturday, February 6, 2010

BAREFOOT

When I was a kid… I always delighted in running barefoot through the grass, dodging honeybees on the clover and dandelions. As I’ve gotten older, I do the same thing in the spring and summer. During the autumn I like the crunch of leaves under my bare feet. As a result… I hate socks. I don’t normally wear them. They feel like heavy lead weights around my ankles. I know what you’re going to say… it’s winter, now. I realize that. BUT… even in the dead of winter, I don’t wear them. That includes making a quick trip down to the store or post office… I’ll wear my shoes or boots, sans socks. I kid you not. You’d think I was from Florida or something. With frigid temps outside, during this time of year… I ought to be happy for feet cover-ups. But I’m not. They genuinely irritate me. They make my feet hot. Too hot, to be comfortable. I don’t know why, but I prefer to be barefoot, when in the privacy of my house, especially in bed. Something liberating about my bare tootsies touching the cold sheets or hitting the wooden floor, when I get up. However, I must confess… I do occasionally wear knee-hi hose, particularly if it snows outside, so my feet don’t get too wet, inside my boots. Not that they’re a lot of help. Hose… I tolerate. But it’s my only concession. I’ll also wear them… if I might be tempted, to try on a new pair of shoes, at the mall. Truth is, I don’t like shoes or slippers, anymore than I like socks. I once owned a pair of soft leather Ballet type slippers that were as comfortable as going barefoot. I wore them everywhere I went… inside and out. Eventually, I had to toss them out, because I wore holes in the bottoms. I’ve tried to replace them, for years, but everything available is fluffy and gaudy. So I own no slippers. No socks. No slippers. Barefoot is what I like. On the other hand, shoes are a necessary evil in civilized society. You must wear them. It’s mandated. The problem is my feet are so small and wide… that finding the right size, is always a problem. If I can’t find them… I’ve been known to buy children’s shoes, instead. As a young woman in my twenties and thirties I wore stilettos. Today… I’m paying the price. With arthritis in both legs… I can hardly stand up these days… much less balance myself… on a skinny little heel. So, when I find a shoe that fits, and keeps me firmly planted on the ground… I buy at least a half dozen pairs of that brand, in that style. My FURLA days are numbered. GRASSHOPPERS are my favorite… along with a pair of zippered TOTES boots. Boring, I know… but functional. The rest of the time… you can find me… barefoot and too old to get pregnant.

5 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

My favorite foot covering during the winter are booties, knitted by my grandmother a long time ago. Down to two pairs, not sure what I will do when they are gone.

Our yard is too rough to allow barefoot, but I do enjoy it when I can.

Missie said...

I still love running thru the grass with bare feet.

Monica said...

My mom always had problems keeping shoes or socks on me when I was a child. In fact I was supposed to wear a brace and would fuss and scream. She couldn't stand it and let me go without the braces against the doctors wishes. My feet grew to be just fine. Unfortunately for me, now my feet get so cold that I must wear socks which I still hate. And shoes which I hate even more. =(

LYN said...

I DON'T WEAR SHOES IN THE SUMMER...BUT CAN'T IMAGINE IN THE WINTER..MY FEET ARE FREEZING AS WE SPEAK...;-)

READ BOTH BOOKS BY THE WAY..LOVED THEM BOTH...THE LAST NIGHT AT THE LOBSTER I READ IN ABOUT AN HOUR OUT BY THE POOL.. ;-)

Nelle said...

I NEVER wear socks. This annoys more people than I can tell you. Right now it's blizzard conditions outside and I am sitting here with no socks. Today the floor is cold and I have put on slippers which are almost like flip flops which I truly love! To go to work I have to wear dress shoes. My feet are wide and I find that Easy Spirit usually has what I need. I buy good shoes and have them for years. It drives everyone crazy that I don't wear socks. The ONE pair I can tolerate my Mom found at a flea market. They said they are diabetic socks and are very wide and soft.I use them when it's below freezing. LOL