Friday, February 26, 2010

KNOCK ON WOOD

The last time I got sick, I was really sick. It took two rounds of antibiotics to knock it out of my system. Over 20 days of medication... Fever, sore throat, chest congestion, cough and runny nose. I felt like I was dying. I seriously doubted I would ever feel better again. So… I stayed in bed for almost a month, contemplating my demise… drinking plenty of fluids and taking my meds, on the remote chance I‘d survive. Eventually, I did recover. That was a couple years ago. I haven’t had, so much as a cold, since. KNOCK ON WOOD. I probably just jinxed myself. You see… the problem is… my hubby is miserable right now. Achy, icky, stuffy head and chest, burning throat, fever. The WORKS… he’s got it, on top of his COPD.... which makes things worse, because he already has trouble breathing. So…. the doctor prescribed a Z-PACK to knock it out of his system. It’s hard to see him suffer like this. So far… it’s been four days and the medicine hasn’t phased him. His throat hurts worse than ever, and his temperature is sitting at 101. What to do? Doc says to give the meds time to kick in. It’s frustrating. It doesn’t seem to be working. Here we go again. Another long drawn out affair. What happened to the good old days. Remember when doctors gave you a SHOT in the rear, and you started to feel better by the end of the day. Seriously, what’s up with these new fangled medicines. They cost a fortune, but don’t seem to be able to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. With all the research that’s put into them, they ought to be able to combat the problem. Apparently the germs are smarter and super resistant, nowadays. So… I’m adding some TLC, vitamin C and chicken soup to the prescription. Maybe it will help? Meanwhile…. I’m trying to keep my distance, and hoping... I don’t catch it.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Tary,thankyou for your comment on my blog ,I think it sounds like your husband has swine flu,Im not a Doc so I could be wrong ,anyway I do hope the meds kick in quickly ,Im sure he will be better soon with all the TLC you are giving him ..love Jasn xx

LYN said...

HOPEFULLY YOUR HUBBY WILL FEEL BETTER SOON...IF IT IS THE FLU ANTIBIOTICS WON'T TOUCH IT ANYWAY..ONLY TAMIFLU AND THAT HAS TO BE STARTED WITHIN 48 HOURS OF FEELING ILL...

I SURE PRAY YOU DON'T GET IT... :-(

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Sound horrible, hope he turns the corner soon. I am sure the soup and 'C will help.

Joann said...

Hi Tary, thanks for visiting my blog... you have a new follower. = )

I know colds this year have been REALLY REALLY bad for everyone. I'm trying to get over one now. I actually don't usually take meds, I'm kind of a believer in letting it run it's course, getting lots of rest, drinking lots of OJ & liquids, and eating lots of homemade chicken soup.

But this year's colds have been really bad for everyone, I broke down and took some Sudafed (for the 2nd time in a week), last night so I could BREATHE and sleep!! LOL!!

Hope your hubby feels better very soon.