Friday, July 2, 2010

UNDER THE WEATHER

I feel miserable. It started with a sore throat. Then… a fever. Now I have the sniffles, congestion and a cough. I hate being sick. But the worse part is being sick in the summer. It’s been a while since I felt this bad. Usually I get sick in the winter, when it's snowing. Now, it just feels weird, to be under the weather, when it’s so HOT outside. My husband’s theory is that I caught this BUG when I was out and about, gallivanting around town. It's possible. But I think it’s more likely, he had a little something to do with it. Here’s why. My hubby has Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or COPD. Simply put… he has trouble breathing. It’s worrisome. He uses various medicines and inhalers to control it. But, most importantly, to help… he keeps it very cool inside our house, so... according to him, he can breathe easier. When he’s at work during the day, I have some relief. But the minute he gets home… the thermostat is adjusted downward, again. I’m always complaining, it’s TOO cold in here, and that he needs to turn it back up. He won’t budge. He insists, the only way he can breathe, is by turning it down that low. Otherwise, he says, it feels like an oven, with the air being thick and stagnant. This is his perception from the disease. So... he compensates, by making it feel like a freezer inside the house. And, I think that’s what made me sick. The COLD air helped make my throat DRY and therefore, more susceptible to the germs, that caused this. So that's how one thing, led to another. But I’ll never convince him, that’s what happened. He says if I don’t want him to be on portable oxygen, then I have to adapt to the cooler air. Obviously I don’t want him in discomfort or distress. But why should my health suffer too? I really am sick from this. I’ve been taking Vitamin C and over the counter… cough, cold and flu medicines to get rid of this, for days, now. It’s gotten worse, instead of better. I’m starting to think I might need an antibiotic. Last night, I was looking for a little more relief… so I had a bowl of soup, thinking that might help, break up the congestion. OLD Wives’ Tale. Didn’t work. So I just crawled under the covers and tried to sleep. It was an impossible task. My nose would clear on one side and then get clogged on the other. Eventually it affected both nostrils, at the same time and I found myself gasping for air. It got so bad… I thought I might need portable oxygen, too. Meanwhile, the doctor doesn’t have any appointments available until next week. So I’ll have to suffer and shiver, through the weekend. So much for a HAPPY 4th of JULY. I guess I’ll just have to watch the fireworks on TV, surrounded by a nice warm quilt, clutching my box of Kleenex.

5 comments:

Joan said...

So sorry to here you are ill a summer cold is awful hope you are better soon. I have to keep our house a bit on the cool side in winter poor hubby he just puts on an extra sweater. Take care Love Joan

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Just being cold will not make you sick. You have to be exposed to a virus to get a cold, winter or summer. Hope it runs its course fast and you can enjoy the 4th.

TARYTERRE said...

I guess what I should've said in my blog, was that, the COLD air helped make my throat DRY and therefore, more susceptible to the germs that caused this. I'm throwing every remedy I can think of, at it, hoping it goes away, soon. I appreciate the well wishes.

Nelle said...

I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better. I don't have COPD but I have respiratory problems that have kept me down for the year. What the AC does is remove the moisture which I'm sure has him feeling better. I would drink more and even consider if your throat is bothering you using a humidifier and sleeping in another room. Sometimes we have to do that. I never had a clue how miserable breathing issues are and when I go outside in high humidity and try to walk I am gasping for air. Hope you get better soon. I do find that chicken soup always helps me and we have the best Jewish delis around there that make it delish.

Lori said...

I hope you are feeling much better by now, getting lots of rest and fluids. You probably should go to the doctor if you haven't already.