Friday, May 20, 2011

A CHANCE MEETING

The weather was dismal outside. Dark and foreboding. I decided to go somewhere warm and inviting. I wanted to pick up a few groceries and scan the shelves at Meijer’s for the latest bestsellers. I love reading the dust jackets. I was looking forward to doing this. So I ducked inside the superstore just as a large clap of thunder bellowed and the raindrops turned into a downpour. Heading to the book aisle, closing my umbrella… imagine my surprise to see a familiar face. There stood my thirty-seven year old daughter, browsing the cookbook section. Even though we live in the same town, I seldom get to see her. Since she got a new job, she works second shift, at the hospital from 2:30 pm - 10:30 pm. And her husband works third shift. So visits between us, are few and far between. She’s always busy. Yet here she was. I was so tickled. She was thrilled to see me too. We gave each other a big hug and kiss, as the rain torpedoed the roof. Smiling like a couple of school kids, we chatted about anything and everything as we navigated our way around the store. It was wonderful to be together like this. She and her husband had just moved into a new house, so she was telling me all about it. ( It just so happens we're scheduled to see it this weekend.) So... she was here at the store getting a few things she needed to make the place feel more like home. Since we both were looking for new dishtowels… she pointed out the ones on sale for $1.99, half off their regular price. They were MORE thirsty, than the others, she thought... I thought the same thing. Like mother, like daughter. The spontaneity of the afternoon made for a perfect day, as the wicked storm raged outside. Simple pleasures mean a lot.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Neat that you would meet up in the same aisle. I would find my mom among the glassware. :)

Lori said...

They sure do! That's so nice that you got that impromptu time together, and I hope you enjoy your time together this weekend!

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Very amazing :o)

LYN said...

awesome..:-)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree, moments like that are wonderful. I love any time I get to spend with my daughter too.

FrankandMary said...

A little family safety net in the aisle. I read of someone who keeps:Stories to help her not be sad.
This would make the cut. ~Mary