Friday, May 13, 2011

STUCK IN THE MUD

It had been raining non-stop for days. Finally a break in the weather appeared... so the race was on, to cut the grass. It would be the first cutting of the season. Ankle deep, the job needed to get done before the rain started up again. Wouldn’t you know it, the lawnmower battery was dead. This meant I had to jumpstart it. To do that... I had to rearrange the cars in the driveway, so I could position one close enough to the lawnmower, which was buried inside the garage. I also needed to make room on that driveway apron, for the lawnmower... once it was ready to go. So I got in my STRATUS. This was the first time I’ve driven it since the automobile accident, a month or more ago. I hastily backed out of the driveway and pulled it into the grassy Boulevard, where we park during the summer, which is opposite my house. That’s when I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. My tires had sunk into mud, about 8 inches deep. I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to scream. I guess I should have known better, because of the wet weather. That car must be jinxed? I left it there. No time for a hissy-fit. I’d deal with it after I got the battery of the lawnmower running. I used the van to jumpstart it. It took about 45 minutes to cut the grass, once the mower was up and running. Thank goodness our lawn wasn't as soft and muddy, as the Boulevard. With that job behind me... I needed to address the car in the mud, out there... before the thunderstorms rolled in, and made a bigger mess. I called AAA. They immediately sent someone here to tow the car back out to the street, where I could get traction. Thank goodness my membership covers such things. Car’s now gingerly sitting in the driveway, anticipating my next move. I’m NOT touching it. Too scared of what’ll happen next? Meanwhile, since I've made HUGE ruts in the Boulevard.... they are going to need to be filled in with topsoil and later, grass seed. Those bags of dirt and seed weigh 50 lbs. Not an easy task for this old timer. But one I'm going to have to tackle soon. It's always something.

3 comments:

Lori said...

It finally stopped raining here long enough for us to cut and trim the yard. And although we've had a few scattered showers over the past few days, we've mostly had dry weather. It was about time, too!

Nelle said...

That's quite an ordeal. Glad you got the car returned to the driveway. My husband cuts our grass and he is keenly aware of the weather forecasts. Many of our neighbors pay someone to do it. We would rather spend that money elsewhere. It has been raining here since Friday and predicted to rain on and off for a week. I dread it.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Hope you have better luck with the next cutting.