Tuesday, October 8, 2013

KIDS WILL BE KIDS, WON'T THEY?

 
I briefly had a pet turtle as a young girl. It wandered into our backyard one day and I decided to put it in a box and keep it. The turtle was too big for the box, but I didn't care. What did I know? I was a kid. My parents were nice about me having this kind of pet... but knew the turtle wouldn't survive long... living that way. So, after a couple days... they let it back into the wild. Of course they didn't tell me they did that. I just assumed the creature escaped on his own. I searched high and low for it... but it had completely vanished. It made me very sad. I  liked the turtle. However... within a few days, I was easily distracted with a little toad I had found. So... life moved forward. Recently, I visited with my grandchildren and when I told them the story of my pet turtle, they sat one of their play ones on my shoulder to keep me company. Kids do the darndest things, don't they???

11 comments:

Jon said...

What a sweet photo. At least the fake turtle won't get away.
This brought back some unhappy childhood memories that I have concerning pets. Perhaps some day I'll write about them.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How cute ! Yes, kids do make us smile for sure!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that is such a cute story! at least they didn't get you toad.

Sara S. said...

So sweet of them to give you a toy turtle to keep you company. Now after hearing your story, do they want a pet turtle too?

Rose said...

What a sweet story and even sweeter what your grandchildren did.

betty said...

Cute story, precious grandchildren to share their "pet" turtle with you :)

betty

Paula said...

It's a cute turtle too.

Chatty Crone said...

Sweet story!

Red Rose Alley said...

I love your turtle story, Taryterre. Your grandchildren are so special to place a turtle on your shoulder to keep you company. Yes, kids are special little people, aren't they? I didn't realize you had grandchildren. I don't have any yet.....maybe someday.

Love,
~Sheri

Lori said...

That was sweet.

Lucy said...

Yes indeed, after 5 children and numerous grand and great grands, kids will be kids. Love this post.