Wednesday, February 12, 2014

OLD MAN WINTER


Once again, last week we got hit with snow. This time about 10 to 12 inches on top of what was already there. I wanted to scream. With these temps in the single digits and below zero it was bone chilling to say the least. Forget global warming. I daresay we are entering the next Ice Age. Old Man Winter is really starting to get on my nerves.  For those of you who love the fluffy white stuff, I agree it can be beautiful. But when you are older it causes complications. All this cleaning off cars and shoveling is getting more than a little tedious. It's downright stressful and physically exhausting. Frustrated because my car was buried in a snowdrift that I couldn't dig out from. I hurt my back trying. I honestly didn't know what to do.  What would happen in an emergency? None of the neighbors offered a helping hand. My husband's COPD prevented him from doing much of anything outside. So it looked like I was stuck here, housebound, indefinitely.  I prayed for a miracle. And on Sunday morning it arrived. Two strangers, angels in a pickup truck, knocked at our front door and asked if we needed help digging out. We said, "YES!" And they went to work. When they finished my hubby gave them $30 for their trouble. It was a small price to pay for peace of mind and freedom from the snow that had been holding us prisoners. 

13 comments:

jack69 said...

I love the unexpected when it is GOOD!.
WOW you have had the snow that is for sure. I don't blame you for the frustration..
But hang in there, We are headed to the coast for a 94th birthday of a lovely lady.
STAY WARM

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Sorry you are suffering. I'm like you, although the snow is nice on the eye, nevertheless it gets cold!

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm with you this winter has been a hard one. Glad you got some help there. So far we've been able to dig out here but I'll tell you I'm throughly exhausted from it. The cold is bone chilling too and being inside so much is getting to me. Take care and hang in there...Spring will come ! It always does and this year we are going to appreciate it more than ever.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'll be so glad when this winter is history. Snow is pretty for a day or two, but after that it gets real tiresome as far as I'm concerned.
God bless the strangers who knocked on your door!

Paula said...

So glad someone came to your rescue. I've never seen much snow but I'm pretty sure I would get cabin fever quick. On the other hand our summers are dry and brutal too. Guess it's six and half a dozen of the other as they say. Stay warm if you can.

betty said...

So glad God sent you that miracle! It is a shame no one around you offered to help. We used to shovel out the lady's driveway/sidewalk when we lived in Montana as she was elderly. She did appreciate it and we always got some of her treats she made around the holidays.

I do hope you guys get some relief soon!

betty

Roses around the door... said...

Angels indeed! We are having the worst floods in our history, its scary and people are really suffering :( I am thinking of you all x

Sheila Y said...

So glad you had someone who offered to help. I love snow, but I have only lived where it comes and goes pretty fast if it comes at all. I would be tired of it too if we got it like a lot of you do. Please take care and stay warm and safe. Sheila

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre, I'm so sorry you hurt your back trying to shovel the snow! Those helpers came at just the right time. Your prayers were answered. The snow looks beautiful to us in the sunny states, but we don't have to deal with it like you every day. Take care, my friend, and Happy Valentine's Day.

Love,
~Sheri

Jon said...

We can always depend on the kindness of strangers - - it was $30 well spent.

Where the heck is global warming when we need it?? I truly believe we're in some sort of Ice Age.
Ironically, it's unseasonably warm in Sochi for the Winter Olympics (perhaps I should move there???).

Chatty Crone said...

I hate that for you - I hope it de-thaws soon. sandie

Lucy said...

That is scarey, because with your knees I bet you should not be out there doing that. Thank God for my grandsons. Glad it worked out.

Jose Ramon Santana Vazquez said...

...traigo
ecos
de
la
tarde
callada
en
la
mano
y
una
vela
de
mi
corazón
para
invitarte
y
darte
este
alma
que
viene
para
compartir
contigo
tu
bello
blog
con
un
ramillete
de
oro
y
claveles
dentro...


desde mis
HORAS ROTAS
Y AULA DE PAZ


COMPARTIENDO ILUSION


CON saludos de la luna al
reflejarse en el mar de la
poesía...




ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE 12 AÑOS DE ESCLAVITUD, MASTER AND COMMANDER, LEYENDAS DE PASIÓN, BAILANDO CON LOBOS, ...

José
Ramón...