Friday, January 2, 2015

OH DEAR NATURE'S GIFT


I was sitting on my sofa, sipping some lemon water, when just barely out of my field of vision, I saw something run past the picture window. My first thought was that somebody was in my backyard. This alarmed me. Nobody should be there. So I jumped up, ran to the window and looked to see who it was, fully expecting to call the police. At first I didn’t see anything and then I did, once my eyes adapted to the landscape. It was no intruder.  Imagine my delight when what I saw were FOUR deer congregating nearby. I was in awe. Two of them, with racks on their heads, decided to take leave of the property, when they saw me and ran from view. But the other two, a momma and her little one, stayed put.  They wandered close to the window looking quizzically at me, as if to ask, ‘who are you?’ Mesmerized, my feet now glued to the tile floor, in the dining room, I watched their every move. Mother Nature had given me a New Years gift and I wasn’t about to squander it, to go grab a camera, and try to capture a picture. Instead, I blinked this scene into permanence, in my mind and promised to store it away there, forever. What a treat, to see these creatures up close and personal. After about ten minutes or so, they too got antsy,  and headed towards the side of my house, that was out of view. But I was not ready to say goodbye to them. So, I ran out front to my porch, and watched these dear, sweet animals prance away, through the boulevard and into the woods that bordered my neighbor’s yard, at the end of the street.  I wished them all well and hoped no harm would come to any of them.  And prayed I would get to see them again sometime soon. This was the perfect…  ‘pick me up’…  to end the holiday season and start the new year.

14 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

I can't think of a more perfect New Year gift, Taryterre. This story touched my heart. And I'm glad you savored the moment as long as you could. Is there anything more beautiful than nature? And I believe there is something very special about the deer. You received a blessed gift, indeed.

love,
~Sheri

Karen Whittal said...

How special is that, I have done many sermons about the lessons we can learn from nature, Gods creation is like the bible the right info at the right time, or in this case the right deer.

Paula said...

Now this is my kind of excitement. Have you thought of leaving something there for them to eat? Bet they would come back over and over. Of course they might eat your plants too.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

How wonderful! And I'm so glad you didn't run to get the camera. I'm learning to put mine down and enjoy what's in front of me.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

how wonderful! i wonder if they will come back?

betty said...

I like your new blog header picture. What a great gift in seeing those deer, I am sure you will never forget it.

Betty

Mevely317 said...

Oh my goodness ... what a blessing!!!
Just hearing you speak of this encounter gives me puts a smile in my heart, and reassures me that this old world isn't such a bad place after all.

Pat MacKenzie said...

How perfect. A wonderful peaceful start to the new year.

jack69 said...

SWEET, Thank goodness, some surprises are nice. neat the big guys came to visit.
having a rough time changing computers. Gotta go.
Love from the land of Mickey

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful surprise for you. In our area visitors like that are common in some places and the deer become annoyances but like you I think I'd be delighted...there have been no deer sightings here.

Algodão Tão Doce said...


Amei conhecer o seu blog, já fiquei por aqui!!!Achei maravilhoso!!!
Visite-me:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

Obrigada.

Beijos Marie.

Carol Z said...

What a great sight. I'm more apt to see four pigeons and maybe four squirrels.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That is so cool, what a great experience. I probably would have been too tempted not to resist trying to get the camera, good for you for resisting.

Algodão Tão Doce said...


Olá amiga,vim retribuir sua carinhosa visita ao meu cantinho.
Fiquei feliz por seguir-me!!!
Obrigada,volte sempre e pegue o meu selinho de agradecimento!

Beijos Marie.