Saturday, February 21, 2015

A TRIP TO THE BEACH IN THE SNOW


More snow is on the way here. Temps have been below zero all week. Winter is wearing out it’s welcome as far as I am concerned. So I have found a way to keep warm. And it involves a confession. I am embarrassed to say I have become a bit of a voyeur. But I do not think that it is a bad thing. Since I can not afford a pricey vacation, at this time… I have become an armchair traveler, instead. Everyday between 5pm to 7pm… I sit here at my desk, and watch the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico, down in Panama City Florida.  I do this via a BEACH CAM on my computer. Along with the spectacular view… I get to people watch too, as folks stroll along the waterfront.  I live vicariously through them, imagining myself there. It has brought me such joy… to tune into the live feed… of sand and surf. It is the best entertainment there is… because it is real life, in real time with real people. And I’m grateful technology has afforded me this luxury… at this time in my life… when mobility issues make such a walk along the beach, to see a sunset, impossible.. not to mention how many miles I would have to travel to do so. Until I discovered the BEACH CAMS I missed the surf and sand. There was a restless yearning I had to be part of it again, since I grew up having the ocean as such an integral part of my life. And thanks to Seahaven Beach Resorts Beach Cam (http://seahavenbeach.com/panama-city-beach-web-cam/) and Schooner’s Beach Cam (thanks sonya for telling me about this one)(http://www.schooners.com/multimedia/beachcam.htm ) the beach life is once again in my life. And that makes me happy, on snowy days, like this… when Cabin Fever rears it’s ugly head and there is no place to wander, except online.


PS). Just so you all know... 
The Seahaven Beach Cam 
changed it's camera location, this week,  
so you no longer see the sunset. 

15 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A little trip to the beach can do wonders for the soul. I will have to check out those beach cams. In my mind, I'm on the beach more days than not these days.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This is a splendid idea! Never thought to look for a beach cam. I will love checking out the sunsets. Thanks for sharing the links, Terre!

jack69 said...

WE are blessed with technology! We are fortunate to have a cam down town Belmont, nc. Sherry goes there to get her taste of HOME!
Great entry lady, THANKS!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a great idea!

Rose said...

I'm fortunate to call my home in South Florida for the past 25 years. Prior, I lived in Boston which will always be my true love. I'm just a city girl at heart........miss my Boston! But not this winter...........Ugh

Hollie said...

I love sitting and watching the ocean!! It has such a calming effect!! I'm not big on walking on the beach or getting in it. LOL

betty said...

That is so cool! I'll have to check it out. I think it is a wonderful thing for you to do to "catch a bit of rays" during this cold winter you guys are enduring.

betty

Mevely317 said...

I love this idea!
In fact, I'm going to see if there aren't live cams set up at a picturesque snow village or ski resort. No thermal undies required! :)

TARYTERRE said...

Some days the sunsets via the cams are spectacular, other times they are just ho hum. So if you do not see a good one, try another day. It will be worth the wait, I promise.

Paula said...

How nice! I've never lived near the beach but have enjoyed the times I've been there. We have a hot day here today but it's supposed to go back to winter tomorrow. Although what we call winter would be a laugh to some I guess. Hope you're having a nice week-end.

Lori said...

I feel your pain. I am SO ready for spring!!

Jon said...

What a wonderful way to bring a touch of summer into your home. I've never heard of beach cams, but I sure need them up here in the icy mountains.

I lived in Southern California for nearly 30 yrs. and I miss the beach, too.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, that is really a great idea. If you can't make it to the ocean, that's the next best thing. I bet you must get cabin fever with all that snow. I know my friend from Colorado longs for the sun and warm weather because she is covered in snow during the winter months.

This beach cam is a great way to see the ocean and enjoy it as if you were there yourself.

love, ~Sheri

Danielle L Zecher said...

I may have to check those out. Thanks for sharing the links! We got more snow (about 3 - 4 inches) today. Fortunately it seems to be melting. I'm so ready for warm weather.

TARYTERRE said...

Just so you all know... The Seahaven Beach Cam changed it's camera location, this week, so you no longer see the sunset.