Saturday, February 28, 2015

CARLE'S IN BUCYRUS A REAL GEM


Located off the beaten path in Ohio, on the Old Lincoln Hwy, in a quaint old town called Bucyrus… there is a neat little place, my hubby and I discovered on the way home from a trip to Maryland. It’s called Carle’s Bratwurst. It is open Monday-Saturday, from 9am-6pm. It has been family owned and operated since 1929. Carle’s boasts having a deli, a small grocery store featuring imported foods and wines. There is a full service butcher counter with a variety of meats. And there is an in house Chef (Wannabe)… who hosts cooking classes, throughout the year for the locals. Carle’s also showcases a famous eat-in/carry-out hot bar with approximately 50 seats. Bucyrus’s German heritage runs deep and Carle’s is the last original bratwurst maker in the area. We stood in line to buy our meal. The wait took a while. My husband got one of their famous bratwurst’s with a couple sides. I got myself, the daily special, which was stuffed peppers. The portions were generous and the prices more than affordable. Nothing over $6. My hubby grabbed us a seat, since seating is limited. The tables all had doily’s and silk flowers. Very charming, indeed. Needless to say, we loved our window view, looking out at the small town. We lingered, savoring the moment. The food was down home country and delicious. According to my husband, the bratwurst had a unique flavor, he couldn’t get enough of. He really loved it. It was unlike any bratwurst he had had before. So after we ate, we shopped for some at the onsite grocery, to take back home. You never know what you’ll find when you’re headed down the road. Carle’s is a real gem, and we were happy we stumbled upon this unique Bucyrus landmark. 



PS) For the record, Carle's did not pay my husband or I for this endorsement. It was our pleasure.

 Carle’s Facebook page 
https://www.facebook.com/carlesbrats 

11 comments:

Jon said...

You SHOULD have been paid for your endorsement.

Good food is non-existent in these tiny hick towns where I've resided in Texas and now Tennessee. I'd give anything to see a real deli again.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've traveled the Old Lincoln Highway. One summer we went through Bucyrus and saw signs saying they had a Bratwurst Festival coming up there. Sorry to say we didn't stop and eat though. Surprising what there is to see and do in those out of the way places.

Mevely317 said...

It's been a good long while, but I love discovering these hidden gems!

This made me recall my own (German) father who'd sometimes drove 100 mi. to buy different sausages and cheese. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any delis like that in Phoenix. :(

Jean said...

Your food look so good. I wish that we had more nice eating out places here, but what we have isn't all that great. Take care.

jack69 said...

It does sound good, now I am hungry. You do a good job selling CArle's I am saving the site and town name.
Sounds like the places we TRY to find.
Thanks.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
This is my kind of place for sure. The food looks delicious with good size portions. I love bratwurst. And how special that it's been around since 1929 - that says something right there. What a charming place, and you're right....you never know what surprises you'll find on the road. We've come across a few ourselves.

Have a good weekend.


love, ~Sheri

Paula said...

What a great "stumble onto" place! I love to find an unexpected gem like this.

betty said...

Sounds delicious and the food looks delicious too! I hope it always stays family owned and operated!! I like the concept too that you actually can have delicious food and not charge an arm and a leg for it! Glad you two enjoyed your time together and the food!

betty

Hollie said...

It sounds like somewhere we would enjoy as well. We love a good brat!!

Hollie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheila Y said...

The food looks so good! It's always good to find a nice eating place that has reasonable prices. Take care, Sheila