Wednesday, April 15, 2015

AstroWives: The Women Who Helped Pave The Way To The Future


It’s no secret I am always on the lookout for a good book. A few years ago I found one I thought my mother might like. So I bought it, and I sent it to her. She was delighted.  Said it was the perfect read. At the time I also bought a copy for myself. But I put mine in the bookshelf, unread and forgot about it. At night I like to sit on my porch and look up at the stars. I have always had a fascination with Outer Space and our travels there.  I remember well, man landing on the moon and what a triumph that was. I remember the stories of the Russian woman who orbited the Earth, pregnant.  I believe this thing called LIFE is bigger than us here on Earth. We are not alone. I think life besides ours, exists in that great big Universe out there. It simply has to… with all those billions of planets and stars. And I am convinced the survival of humanity depends on us pushing beyond our planet to find it and other habitable places to live. I am excited about the talk of putting men on Mars in the next 20 years. And I am thrilled we have probes circling the dwarf planets Ceres and Pluto today. Our country wastes so much money on trivial things. I think NASA and our government should be bankrolling space exploration, full speed ahead, like John F. Kennedy wanted. In the big scheme of things, I think it’s important for mankind to venture where it’s never been before, much like our ancestors did. With that said, I stumbled on the book I had put away. It was there staring me in the face. So I began reading. It is called THE ASTRONAUT WIVES CLUB by LILY KOPPEL. (Behind every man is a good woman.) It is the true story of the young military wives that were catapulted into history when their husband’s became America’s first ASTRONAUTS. Almost overnight these women became role models and fashion icons of a generation. And because of the danger of their husband's missions, they became each other's support systems. It is a wonderful read. It takes you back to a time and place where anything was possible. Where people tried to achieve the impossible and did.... paving the way for the future. I haven’t been able to put this book down. Pick yourself up a copy. I guarantee you’ll love it too.

http://www.astronautwivesclub.com/

One of my blog buddies told me it's been made into a TV drama. If it stays true to the book it should be good.

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2015/02/abcs_astronaut_wives_club_mini.html

16 comments:

blogoratti said...

What great thoughts you have, thanks for sharing that!

Mildred said...

Thanks so much for the review! Hope you have a great day.

Mildred said...

me again....I was just googling the book and stumbled upon info that this will be a 10 series tv show this year!

TARYTERRE said...

The book is fascinating. Therefore the TV series should be interesting for sure. Thanks for telling us.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It does sound like a great book. Those wives sound much like military wives that have to look for support among their peers too. I agree with you that those were times made us feel as if anything was possible.

jack69 said...

Oh yes, I like to think of outer space. The mysteries that lie there. At times I have dreamed of going into space.
Glad you discovered the book. It sounds interesting, for sure.
THANKS

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, this sounds like a good book, Taryterre, and I'd love it if they put it into a movie someday. You know, I think I could watch Apollo 13 over and over again. I am fascinated by the stars and planets also. How nice that you sit on your porch at night and look at the stars often. I wish I could do that too, but my porch is very very small - not even room for a chair, oh well.

Enjoy your book, Taryterre.

love, ~Sheri

RoeH said...

I loved that book. It was so interesting and it make me mad that NASA had so much control over them. I LOVE the cover photo where one person would not wear the NASA mandated soft color shirt dresses. Or house dresses. I can't remember what they were called. That's what I would have done. Wear one completely different.

Paula said...

Sounds like a book I would like, thanks for the info.

Mevely317 said...

Not half-way through your review I got chill-bumps, remembering our Nation’s pride in the space program. Clear as a bell I recall being in 5th grade –gathered around Ms. Paris’ transistor radio when John Glenn made history.

This book sounds like a winner, for sure. I’m going to request it from our library.

PS -
Yes, and how could we as mere mortals be so full of ourselves to believe we’re the only form of life which exists the universe!

betty said...

This does sound interesting; I'll have to put it down on my list to read. I remember growing up whenever a space ship came back from a mission, we had a TV brought into the classroom so we could see the touchdown in the ocean, it was always so exciting to see the astronauts coming back onto earth land :)

betty

Kay said...

Hi. Just thought I'd answer your question about what I'm thinking about the Y&R story lines. I am getting a little tired of them bringing in "look-alikes". Victor either finds someone who is a dead ringer for someone else, or he pays them to have plastic surgery so they will look like someone else. I guess we are supposed to accept the fact that it is a Soap Opera, not "real life". But it does get a little annoying. Also, I'm stuck between who I think killed Austin and Courtney. I think it was either Kyle or Kelly.

Danielle L Zecher said...

You sound like my husband talking about space exploration. There's a tv series that Tom Hank did, I think it's called something like From the Earth to the Moon, and a couple of the episodes focus on the wives. I've been wondering about the book, so thanks for the review.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This sounds like a very good book and I'll have to look for it. Thanks, Terre, for telling about it!

Carol Z said...

I think I'd enjoy this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Shubham said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.