Thursday, April 2, 2015

HAPPY EASTER. SOME BUNNY LOVES YOU


Growing up… Easter was always a happy time. A time of renewal. It was a dress up occasion in my family. I donned an Easter bonnet, fancy dress,  pretty gloves and white patent leather shoes. Before heading off to church, early in the morning, we got to see what the Easter Bunny brought us. It was always a rainbow basket, wrapped with colored cellophane paper. It was filled with green grass, decorated hardboiled eggs, a chocolate cross, hollow panorama sugar eggs and a sandwich bag full of jellybeans, that would spill out and get tangled up in the shiny grass. The tradition continued well into my teens, thanks to my mom. When I was much older, married with a couple children of my own… my grandmother died. It was around Easter. Although more years, than I care to mention… have passed since then… the hurt of missing her, lingers. So… whenever the holiday rolls around… I think of her, with fond memories, one in particular.  She had a tough life. When my grandpa died she had to give up everything she had… and had to move in with my mom, dad, brother and I… because she couldn’t afford to live on her own. That meant we got to come over to her house to help her downsize. There were lots of prized possessions that were designated trash and went out to the curb. But upstairs I found something that really caught my eye. It was hidden treasure. It was trivial in the big scheme of things... but it was something pretty extraordinary to me… as a little girl, exploring this big old house my Nana lived in. Tucked carefully away, in the back of a closet… was a pretty Easter Basket. It was different from the one the Easter Bunny usually gave me, so it stood out. But I shrieked with delight when I saw what was inside it. In it was an unopened bag of beautiful PINK grass. I had never seen PINK Easter grass before. (I daresay, none of my friends had either, because they all celebrated Passover. I couldn’t wait to show them.) This discovery was amazing. PINK GRASS. It was magical. The stuff of fairytales. (Today you see pink everywhere, but back then you didn't.) I tenderly fondled it, as it crackled beneath my fingertips. Imagine that? PINK GRASS. I just knew my Nana had been saving it, especially for me, because ordinary GREEN grass wouldn’t do. No, that grass had to be something special. So PINK it was. Back in the day when conformity ruled, my grandmother DARED to be different. And that left a lasting message on my heart, one that puts a smile on my face and a spring in my step to this day. ENJOY your EASTER and PASSOVER. HAPPY! HAPPY!

18 comments:

Jon said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Easter memories and the story of the Easter basket. This is truly a special time of year. Although much of my life has been turbulent, all of my Easter memories are fond ones.

Paula said...

A wonderful story of your memories of pink grass and dressing up for Easter. I don't know how many years it has been since I bought a new dress for Easter. In fact never wear one but those were the days with hats gloves and so dressed up.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What Happy Easter Memories you have of your wonderful Grandmother. It seems that holidays do trigger memories of those that are no longer with us. I have a lovely little snow globe filled with pink flowers and it's a music box that plays Younger than Springtime...it reminds me of my Mom. I hope you have a Happy Easter and that you cab make some new memories !

jaz@octoberfarm said...

wouldn't your grandmother be happy to know she left you with this wonderful memory?

betty said...

So sweet to read about your Nana and the find of the pink grass. It was nice that she got to be live with your family after your grandfather passed, but always hard to lose a relative around a holiday. The memories you have of her though are priceless and always will be with you indeed!

Such wonderful Easter memories you have too of growing up. Always enjoyed the basket and hunt of eggs my mom would do for us :)

Happy Easter!

betty

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, this story of your grandmother was so wonderful that it brought a tear to my eye. Maybe because I didn't know my grandmas (I was the youngest, and they had passed away when I was very little). I thought the pink grass story was amazing, and Yes, I think it was meant for YOU! And I smiled when you said your mom made you baskets even as you got older because I just stopped making them for the kids and Nel is 33 haha!

Have yourself a blessed Easter, my friend. I truly love your stories. They touch my heart.

love, ~Sheri

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Love this story! I'll bet the pink grass was very exciting to find and meant just for you. I remember Easter when I was young and we always wore gloves and hats with our new Easter outfits. I don't know which I loved more...the new clothes or the basket of goodies! lol!
Have a wonderful and blessed Easter!

jack69 said...

You spin a good tale. Very interesting and YES it is wonderful to find that treasure. One you know was meant for you to find.

Loved the story of the Pink Grass, and nope, never did see any.
Love sent from North CArolina

Mevely317 said...

Yes, I also recall dressing up to the 9's on Easter Sunday in gloves, patent leather and a saucy bonnet. (Am I the only one who's a bit saddened that headwear has gone out of fashion?)

What a wonderful memory you've shared! A grandmother's love remembered and cherished. This touched my heart!

Happy Easter!

Naqvee said...

Your experience was so well written I could actually imagine it happening! Very emotional!

Thanks for sharing :)
Naqvee

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's a very sweet Easter story. I love the pink grass, it's so pretty. :-)

Terri @ Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy Easter!

Linda said...

I love the story about the PINK grass and the fact that your grandma dared to be different. Different is good! I don't use grass in the Easter baskets for my grands....I hate it, it makes a mess. Happy Easter to you too!

Mildred said...

Such a sweet Easter post. Your childhood memories of Easter are very similar to mine. I remember dad had to scuff up the bottoms of my new shoes to keep me from slipping/falling at church!!!
Thank you for sharing about your grandmother; precious memories for sure. God bless your Easter.

Hollie said...

Happy Easter!!!

Lynn Proctor said...

What a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a great lady!

Carol Z said...

The memories of times long past are among the sweetest and saddest to me. Pink grass would have thrilled me, too. Wishing you a beautiful spring day!

~mel said...

awww... this was a sweet read :)