Sunday, June 14, 2015

ROAD HOUSE DRIVING


The other day, I looked death in the eye, and cheated it… by some fast thinking. What happened was this. I was rounding a curve on a narrow stretch of road between my house and the lake. I was headed to the water’s edge for some much needed solace. It had started to drizzle. So the road was slick. I was traveling in accordance with the speed limit, so I wasn’t overly concerned. Then… out of the blue, I saw something that shook me to my core, and damn near gave me a heart attack. Coming straight towards me, hogging the entire road, with no room to spare, was a house. You heard me, a house.  A ranch house… sitting on top of a flatbed truck, overhanging on all sides, obviously too big for this mode of transport. I saw no customary warning vehicle in front of it, to give me a heads up... this monstrosity was there. All my eyes could focus on, was just this big house… headed right at me, going faster than the speed of light. It looked like it might tip over on top of me, if it did not hit me first. Suddenly, I saw my life flash before my eyes. A line from an old Mary Chapin Carpenter song came to mind.  “Everything can change in the blink of an eye. One minute you’re the windshield. One minute you’re the bug.”  I looked for someplace to go. There was only one option, the grassy berm. So… with seconds to spare, I jerked my car in that direction, hard right, skidding to a complete stop. Then, I held my breath and mumbled a prayer. I was certain the end was here. The car vibrated and I clung to the seat. The house missed me by a hair. It was that close. I sat there for a moment taking in what had just happened. It was surreal. That driver’s load and reckless behavior had almost gotten me killed. Shaken, but still alive… I pulled away and continued on to the lake. I needed to decompress. I had just been spared and I was going to make the most of it… starting right then and there. The road is dangerous. Do not take it for granted. Defensive driving saves lives. PRACTICE it, religiously. PS) Further down that road… where it became a double hwy… was another house, similar to the one I had had a close encounter with. It was sitting there waiting to make that perilous journey around that same narrow curve. I prayed nobody got in it's way. I pulled over and snapped a photo… because seeing is believing. 

14 comments:

Snoskred said...

Wow that would have been quite terrifying! :(

Driving is getting more and more scary over here. The amount of people texting and driving astounds me. I have seen people on the complete wrong side of the road because they are so busy with their phone. :/

Jon said...

My God, what a horrifying experience - - and so completely unexpected. Your quick thinking (and maneuvering) saved your life. I can't imagine what I would do if I saw a house coming at me! That driver was not only reckless, he was also insane.

I'm so glad you escaped unharmed - and were able to take a photo.

Back Porch Writer said...

So glad you are ok! That is scary! They needed flag men or something!

Mildred said...

I'm thankful you are safe. The older I get, the more cautious I become. There are many folks (like this driver) who disregard all the safety rules and endanger innocent people.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes, it is a blessing that you are safe. I've always believed in defensive driving, but that takes the cake. I've seen houses on the highway before but you are right, they usually have a warning vehicle front and back of them. I can only imagine that you needed the lake for some peace and quiet more than ever.

blogoratti said...

That must have been nerve racking.

Cindi said...

gosh how scary ...glad you were not hurt

betty said...

Wow, what a terrifying experience!! I too can't imagine why there wasn't a warning vehicle in front of this very wide load! Glad you were okay, though I am sure you indeed were shaken up for a bit after this!

betty

Mevely317 said...

OK, I'm truly horrified. Did you alert the authorities?
Ya, it might have just come to, 'he said, she said.'

'Just thanking God you're OK and had the presence of mind to react instinctively!
... and just because I'm the grandma and have license to nag (smile), I want to share this with my granddaughters who regularly traverse the rural byways.

TARYTERRE said...

This was one of the scariest things that ever happened to me. If there was a warning vehicle it was out of sight somewhere further down the road, no where near the house (on the truck) to do it's job. I never saw this coming until danger was imminent. It has been a life altering experience for me. PS) the house pictured at the top of my blog post was NOT the same one that almost collided with me. It was another house headed in the same direction. PPS)Thanks for all the comforting comments.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm so sorry you were scared like that and happy that you survived the ordeal! There is a law about those kinds of moving vehicles requiring a Wide Load warning vehicle ahead of them. Hope they got where they were going without hurting anyone. Again, I'm so glad you are okay! Take care!

jack69 said...

Wow, glad you dodged the bullet (or the house). I have seen the guide vehicle get too far ahead on interstates, but I cannot imagine it on a narrow road. Good driving and glad you B ok.

Roses around the door... said...

This incident must have been terrifying! Thank God you are ok, thinking of you x

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, someone was watching over you that day. What a close call. I'm so glad that you were able to drive in the other direction and pull off the side of the road. Thanks for the reminder of driving safely my friend.

love, ~Sheri