Monday, July 20, 2015

COINS, A FOUNTAIN AND A PLASTIC BUCKET


Fountains delight me. I am mesmerized by them. Songs have been written about them and movies made. You find these glorious water features in the most conspicuous places. They reside on the grounds of museums, libraries, office buildings, town squares, malls, home gardens and the like. And they are always the center of attention. You see that water spurting up to the sky, and you are immediately drawn to the fountain. What adult doesn’t reach deep into their pocket or purse, to extract a penny or two, to throw inside the reflecting pool, puddling below? As young children we are taught to “make a wish” as we toss a coin into the fountain. And if we are lucky, that wish might really come true. If only we believe, lore tells us. The truth is, fountains give us hope. They make the seemingly impossible, possible for one scintilla of a second. They bring us comfort. The sound of the water… stills our hearts, and we feel no stress. The world is free of pain, fear. Time stands still. And we smile, don’t we? As we gaze deep within. Throughout the years, I have made my fair share of wishes… as I have tossed countless coins, into various fountains… across this great land. The other day was no exception. We were at the hospital. My husband was having some tests. After his procedures were over, we sat down, him and I… on a bench near a beautiful fountain, outside. With noise all around, there was a stillness there. A peaceful calm. It was in the middle of the afternoon. And as is customary, we parted with some loose change, hoping for a positive outcome. A wish come true. An answer to our prayers. But suddenly… our solitude was disturbed. And we watched in horror, as our money was scooped up by a groundskeeper. He was mopping up the coins, with a broom and placing them in a BIG ugly plastic bucket. Where was the MAGIC in that? Where were all those coins going? To what cause? Surely… it was bigger than our wishes, alone? When we asked, he said, it would be noble if the coins went to an organization like, “Make A Wish Foundation.” But… the truth is, he told us… they go into a fund to maintain the fountain. Nothing more, nothing less. End of story. This momentarily threw us for a loop. We were disillusioned. But we supposed, it ultimately made sense. Look at all the joy it brings to thousands of people every day. Without the fountain… where would all those WISHES, go? We watched this worker finish his job, take the money and leave. My husband and I… looked at each other. Despite our ages, we are still young at heart. Without hesitating, we reached deep into our pockets, once again... finding a few more spare coins... and we tossed them, with reckless abandon, into the fountain. Heads, say we win... whatever we wish. BECAUSE we BELIEVE.

CLEANING UP

 WISH MONEY 

15 comments:

Jon said...

You've described the essence of fountains so eloquently and accurately - - the magic and the lure. What a wonderful post!
Hope is indeed eternal......wishes can come true.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love fountains. It's true they are very relaxing and take the stress away. I'd have put more wishing coins into the fountain too.

Mildred said...

A beautifully written post. One fountain in particular I remember from childhood was inside an Atlanta department store by the escalator. It was such fun to toss coins and make a wish.
Hoping for a good outcome for your husband. You two have a good day.

jack69 said...

I agree with Jon above.
Yes I do love fountains, in my latest book the heroes find themselves in the heart of Rome and they of course find a fountain and toss coins as they sing the 50's song, 'Three Coins in A Fountain'.

great entry, stirs memories...

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i have fountains all over my garden and have never thought to throw a coin in one. i need to do this asap!

Carol Z said...

I always hum "Three Coins in the Fountain" when I toss a coin and make a wish, and I expect I always will. I so enjoy finding fountains around NY and am especially fond of the many at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Paula said...

What a delightful entry. I remember a fountain in downtown San Antonio with colored lights at night. When my daughters were young they loved when we passed by it in the car usually going to downtown Baptist hospital to visit a grandparent.

betty said...

That was interesting where the money went to in maintenance of the fountain. I think I would have been like you, throwing some additional coins into it and wishing and believing :)

betty

Mevely317 said...

This, perhaps, my favorite post since having 'met' you! Yes, I'm sitting here smiling, recalling times I tossed pennies over my shoulder. Not sure why I stopped!
Thank you for reminding me, we're never too 'old' to dream BIG.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I love fountains, Taryterre. And I can understand that they need funds to keep the beautiful fountain running. I see fountains a lot, but I haven't tossed a penny in in a very long time. Maybe I'll do that sometime. So glad to hear your wishes came true.

love, ~Sheri

Red Rose Alley said...

ooops, I thought you said "a wish came true" but you said "a wish come true."
Still, I DO hope your wishes come true, Taryterre. You deserve all the goodness that comes your way. :~)

Barb said...

What a great story - and a surprise ending! I have a water feature at my home in the mountains of CO which we call "the stream" because it's long and babbling with several small waterfalls. We love to sit on the deck listening to it and watching it. It's calming and invigorating at the same time. Our grandchildren like to float toys in it. The wildlife loves to drink from it. Though we only have it running in the late spring to early fall, we always look forward to starting it again. (I only wish someone would throw coins in to help with maintenance!)

Sheila Y said...

This was another great post! I hope your wish does come true. Take care, Sheila

Roses around the door... said...

Beautifully written x

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This post immediately had me humming "Three Coins in a Fountain". Remember that wonderful old song? I will pray for good test results!