Monday, March 28, 2016

FURNI-SHIELD AND STUFFING


Our old loveseat has the stuffing coming out of it and looks unsightly to say the least. But we’ve been living with it for a while now. However, at the end of last year, the husband and I decided to look for new living room furniture. We looked and looked for the right set, that was affordable. It was a painstaking process. At Art Van we found a nice sofa and loveseat combo at a price we liked and were going to pull the trigger on it. But, ended up getting in a big argument instead. Suffice to say, we left the store empty handed and it has been a source of contention between my hubby and I ever since. He now refuses to buy anything at all, leaving me stranded with the original old loveseat. So… I have had to come up with creative ways to camouflage the collateral damage to it. I have used pillows, A bedspread, tablecloth and  comforter. But they all look stupid. A good old fashioned slipcover was what it needed. And the cost was prohibitive because I needed two. One for the sofa and one for the loveseat. I wanted a matching set. Desperate people do desperate things. They say a sucker is born every minute. Put me at the top of the list. I saw an infomercial for something called a FURNI-SHIELD. It covers and protects the portion of your investment most vulnerable to spills. It was surprisingly cheap. Cheaper than slipcovers. I pulled out my credit card and placed an order. One for the sofa. One for the loveseat. Not exactly the new furniture I hoped for, but something I can live with in the meantime. What do you think? A compromise worth noting or not? The cat seems to like it. 


13 comments:

betty said...

As long as the cat likes it, it is good for me :) We actually bought one time sofa/loveseat that matched Koda's coloring when he shed, so whom am I to say with what is the best for anyone's decorating ideas :)

It does look good though!

betty

Jon said...

Well, I think they look very nice - - they serve a purpose and the price was right. And it looks like kitty is enjoying it.

I used to have expensive slipcovers on a sofa and loveseat when I lived in Texas, and they were a pain in the ass to maintain. True to their name, they kept "slipping" and "sliding" and the only time they looked good is if you didn't sit on them.

Perhaps some day - when Hubby is in a good mood - you'll be able to buy some new furniture. Until then, your present things look good.

Back Porch Writer said...

Sometimes we compromise. I know what you mean. I am doing the same with our sofa. I throw blankets on top of it. It's on the list to replace but a long way down the list! So glad to see you back blogging again! I worried about you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you could find something that was affordable. It looks good to me. I've had the same furniture for years and it's dark blue. I could have used something like that when I had dogs. The dog hair stuck like glue and this would have helped loads.

jack69 said...

Hey, it looks brighter! Nothing ventured nothing gained. I agree with Betty, so I agree with the CAT!

The 'mainest' thing is you DID SOMETHING and it seems to fill the bill until feathers are smoothed and better times arrive.

Just 'elbow' the old guy and make him smile! GEt him on the LOVE seat and let LOVE take it's course. SMILE!

Paula said...

I think it looks good. I ordered one of those once and it never fit the sofa right and never stayed on so the sofa went back to looking ugly and the cover is taking up space in a closet.

Sheila Y said...

I think it looks just fine. So glad you are back. Have a great week! Sheila

Red Rose Alley said...

I've never heard of a furni-shield, how interesting. Sometimes we have to make do with what we have, and I think this is a great idea, Taryterre. It looks cozy, and your cat looks comfortable on it. :)

~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Furni-Shield sounds like something I purchased off Groupon a couple of years back. (Our pups had literally gnawed holes in the cushions and green stuffing was protruding this way and that ... NOT pretty.)
Truly, our poo-brown (am I allowed to say that on blogger?) covers were SO ugly - but ultimately serviceable. New furniture is so absurdly expensive; have you tried Craig's List?

PS - Kitty looks pretty darn cute! ... Those eyes!

shortybear said...

looks nice.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I think it looks nice and the kitty has give it the seal of approval it appears! Your kitty looks like our Peanut. I do hope your hubby softens up a bit and will get the furniture you wanted. :)

Red Rose Alley said...

It was nice to hear that you stayed at home with your kids as well, Taryterre. I didn't know that. A lot of hard work and sacrifices, but so worth it in every way.

Have a great week, and I'm so glad you're back with us.

love, ~Sheri

~mel said...

I think they look great ... and functional! ... until Dear Hubby comes around to your way of thinking :) They sure can be stubborn sometimes. I have a busted down sofa sleeper in my basement that needs to be taken out. One of these days it'll be tended to. So many projects and never enough time (or muscle in my case) to help with some things.