Monday, August 15, 2016

THE SYRUP OF KINGS and PITA


When I was a little girl my Nana lived with us. And my mother worked full-time, not typical of women back then. Sometimes we would have a big home cooked meal after she got home and other times just a TV Dinner. One thing though never failed, there would always be some kind of dessert on the table before our plates were clean.  Jello, ice cream, coconut or orange cake, pudding, oatmeal cookies and my personal favorite…. White Bread slathered with butter and then drowned in KING syrup. It had to be KING syrup. The glass bottle with the crimson label and lion’s face was the only BRAND to use. It poured like molasses because it was so thick.  It’s gooey goodness can not be overstated. It was DELICIOUS. And it was a part of our family’s dinner ritual for many years. When I left home and moved away I never had it again for quite a while.  When I did attempt to find a bottle to share with my kids, it was difficult at best, to find one. Seemed only a few places carried it. But I was relentless in my search. I wanted my little ones to be enamored with the lion like I was. When I finally brought KING syrup home...They smiled and pointed at the animal’s fluffy mane on the glass bottle...but when it came time to pour… they demanded I put the married woman with the dress, Mrs. Butterworth, on the pancakes instead.



So I did,  reserving KING for special occasions until the syrup ran out. Then, I never replaced it, letting childhood memories fade away. I am an old lady now. Joy is dispensed in experiences for me these days.  Recently… I had a piece of Pita Bread in my hands following dinner out… eating it a piece at a time. For some reason... I felt something was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was? Then I happened to notice a bottle of syrup sitting on the table, nestled between the salt and pepper shakers. I became possessed. The little girl inside me came alive, bubbling to the surface. I grabbed the bottle pouring some sugary flavor over this Mediterranean staple, I now placed on the dinner plate. Closing my eyes, I headed back to that yellow kitchen table of my youth. My mom was there. My NANA. My father and my baby brother. This wasn’t KING SYRUP, but I pretended it was. It tasted scrumptious. And for just a moment, I was 4 years old again, savoring the goodness of such SWEET memories, transported back in time to a place called HOME.






14 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great memory. I have used Mrs. Butterworth for years but never heard of your King variety. What a sweet post !

betty said...

I bet it was nostalgic to have all those wonderful memories coming back to you when you were dipping your pita bread into the syrup. I too haven't heard of this brand. I wonder if it is still made?

betty

jack69 said...

I love a good tale, spun well, this one did it. I was with you at that table, eyes closed remembering a sweet jar on the table.......... But then I realized mine was Molasses or Karo. But, but I do know the feeling and you expressed it well. THANKS............SWEET........

jack69 said...

PS: HOpe you are doing well!

Jon said...

I love nostalgic memories. Who would ever imagine that they could be provided in a bottle of syrup?

I've never heard of King Syrup and - for some strange reason - I can't remember our family using syrup very often when I was a child (but I like it now!).

I just checked online and discovered that King Syrup is still available - which you probably already knew. I hope you will buy a bottle and enjoy it on your next piece of pita bread.

TARYTERRE said...

Yes you can still get KING on Amazon. There is nothing they don't sell. I will put the link on the bottom of my story. Though I'll warn you it is PRICIER than I remember.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, I just love your stories. It's like I am right there experiencing the whole thing myself. You have special memories of the KING SYRUP. We use the old Mrs. Butterworth's to this day, and nothing replaces it. I bet when you closed your eyes and thought about the syrup from your childhood, it became real as can be. What a touching story. And we all need to reminisce once in awhile.

love, ~Sheri

Paula said...

Wonderful sweet story. A couple of years ago my daughter wanted me to bring a pecan pie for Christmas like I used to make. Walmart didn't even have the Karo syrup I always put in it so it so I subed. It didn't taste the same.

Mevely317 said...

"Joy is dispensed in experiences these days." WOW, that resonates.

You've an amazing way of inviting us to become reacquainted with our own tastes of HOME. Thank you.

Danielle L Zecher said...

Isn't it odd how some foods come to equate happiness?

I don't think I've ever had King Syrup, but I'm all about Mrs. Buttworth.

Have you checked on Amazon for King Syrup? They seem to have everything!

Sheila Y said...

Oh the memories from childhood...Ours was and is Alaga syrup. I had plenty, mixed with butter, to sop my biscuit through while I was at my parents this past July. Hope you are feeling better. Take care, Sheila

lotta joy said...

We lived in a four room house that had a pot bellied stove in the middle. We'd each fill our bowls with vanilla ice cream and set them on the stove just long enough to soften, then we'd pour KING syrup on the ice cream. Now THAT was delicious! And to this day, I remember the maple ice cream taste. Last night (oddly enough) I was reminiscing to my husband and decided to do it again, but with Log Cabin. He was amazed at the taste. And I remember my dad cutting up pieces of butter into the KING syrup and wiping it up with bread. mmmmmmm.

Lisa said...

Mom always used Karo. Once I was out on my own, I chose Log Cabin and only use Karo for pecan pies.
Great memory story you have.
Lisa

Back Porch Writer said...

Making me hungry!