Tuesday, August 30, 2016

ROCK STARS OF NATURE


Nature gives back. Whenever I go for a walk I have a tendency to look down. "My eyes are constantly scanning the ground for treasures. A piece of bark, an acorn, a pine cone, driftwood, a shell, sea glass, a leaf or rock." When I was a child I collected rocks and minerals. I amassed quite a collection. In part because my grandfather gave me some of his. He actually got me into the hobby. Today my grandson carries on the tradition. Growing up I had a number of books full of photographs with descriptions of rocks and minerals. I poured over them day and night… with each new discovery in hand. A little card table was set up in the basement of my parents bungalow to house my ROCK COLLECTION and reference library. I labeled each and every one of the rocks I found. I had amber, petrified wood, mica, quartz, pyrite, obsidian, lapis, turquoise, jasper, garnets, agate, amethyst and rough cut diamonds. Though I wanted to be an archaeologist... I fancied myself a geologist of sorts, at that time in my life. But the term Rock Hound was what I called myself because it sounded hip and cool... best describing what I did, hunting for rocks. Never a lapidarist, though… my fascination for the raw uncut beauty of these pieces stays with me, even as an adult. 


I believe in their healing power as our ancient civilizations once did. Have you ever been to a ROCK SHOW? Do you have a favorite rock or mineral?


PS (Admittedly many of my rocks have been cut and polished)



(My Wedding Ring)

13 comments:

Weekend-Windup said...

You have a good collection of rocks. Your wedding ring looks awesome:)

Back Porch Writer said...

Well that is neat to know (about your love for collecting rocks) and having wanted to be an archaeologist. Those are pretty.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great collection and I really love your ring! Just beautiful. Nature does rock for sure !

betty said...

Your wedding ring is really pretty and unique. I haven't been to a rock show. I will look at exhibits in museums though. Those are fun to see.

Betty

jack69 said...

I love rocks. I have never picked up or looked up their names, but I am drawn to rocks. I am sure Quartz and what I call creek washed rocks are my favorites, but I have never been studious concerning rocks.

I love 'em BIG, giant house size and one I can put in my pocket.

You are a very interesting lady, love the wedding ring.

Jon said...

What beautiful photos. Believe or not, I had a rock and mineral collection when I was a child. I kept it for years - but have no clue whatever happened to it.
Your wedding ring is gorgeous and so unusual!

Lisa said...

Like you I look on the ground for treasures everywhere I go. Never been much of a rock collector but I did have a "pet" rock once. I was just noticing the other day, I do not see as much Mica as I used too.
Lisa

Jean said...

I’ve seen pretty rocks growing up on a farm, but never thought about collecting them. I like your wedding ring it is so pretty

Red Rose Alley said...

Your wedding ring is so lovely, Taryterre, and unique. What a great hobby rock collecting is. And how special that your grandfather introduced you to it. And now your grandson enjoys this hobby too! Nel really likes the amethyst and bought some jewelry in that. That purple-pink rock shown on here looks like amethyst? You have a wonderful rock collection, Taryterre. Keep hunting and keep finding. :)

love, ~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

I envy your powers of observation, Tary!

While I was never into rocks/minerals-and-the-like, I'm a bit fascinated with the lore of their healing powers.... particularly in nearby Sedona.
I agree with the others, your wedding ring is beautiful!

Carol Z said...

I can't pick a favorite. I'm drawn to so many. I agree about Sedona. I can spend hours -- and have -- looking at and enjoying the different minerals.

Andrea said...

What beautiful wonders you have found.... and your wedding ring is absolutely stunning too! Beauty all around you. Such a blessing!

XOXO

Summer said...

Those rocks are so cute ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com