Saturday, December 19, 2009

LONGEST WEEK

My debit card is being quirky. I use it for everything. We have more than enough money in the bank to cover transactions… but sometimes the card doesn’t work, and then it appears we can‘t cover the bill… when we really can. It has become embarrassing. Try explaining that to a busy cashier, at this time of year. One clerk suggested the problem was that the card got demagnetized, somehow, in my purse. Perhaps the magnetic clasp in my wallet caused it? Whatever the reason for the problem, it needed to be fixed. I had to do something to stop this game of chance. So… I went to the bank to complain. The teller confirmed the card was indeed, demagnetized. And then told me, there would be a $25 charge to replace the card. BUT… this one time only, she would waive the fee. I thanked her profusely. Frankly, I don’t care what it costs… I just want a card that works. Problem is… I now have to wait 5 to 7 days for the new card to arrive. In the meantime, I have to rely on checks to pay for things. It’s like going back to the Dark Ages. It’s been a long, long time since I wrote a check... I swear, I almost forgot how. My hand wobbled as I wrote out all the information on that 2 x 6 inch piece of paper. Did you know, they now give the check back to you at the register, after they’ve entered all the data. They used to keep it, back in the old days. In my humble opinion… it’s so much easier to swipe a card through one of those gizmos. I miss my debit card. Being without it, is going to drive me crazy. This is going to be the longest week in my life.

No comments: