Thursday, December 3, 2009

CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS

I decided to decorate for Christmas . This meant tackling some of the mess in the garage. The mess is still there… but rearranged, so I could reach my motion figures and tree boxes, piled high on a shelf. With my bad knees, climbing a ladder is hard for me. And my hubby has vertigo, so he can’t do it. So… to maneuver the boxes, down from there… I had to use a long wooden stud, to push them forward, so they would fall off the shelf into my arms, or onto a pile of junk. Soft landing. Mission accomplished. Then… I had to drag the boxes across the garage floor, into the house. What a chore. But it was worth the trouble. Opening the boxes to see familiar Christmas items, like the tabletop Snowman, my father made for me… gave me a nice warm, fuzzy feeling inside. And inspired me, to get with it, and do the job. After all, you only have to decorate for Christmas, once a year. First challenge was the tree. I have a TWIG tree, that I put in the corner of my living room, every year. This year it‘s going in the family room, instead. So I had to make way, by pulling an end table forward from the wall. My cats have a fascination with the tree. So I can’t put ornaments on it. They cart them away, as play toys. Besides the fact… my ornaments, many years worth… were packed away, in the far reaches of my attic, once upon a time… never to be seen from, again. They’ve gone missing, for seven years… now. It’s heartbreaking, really. I learned to improvise. So… I decorate the tree with hundreds of white twinkle lights, the size of tiny snowballs… and adorn it with a golden garland, with red berries and then… top it off, with a grapevine star. This year, I decided to use one of these NEW bows filled with miniature LEDS, as a Tree Topper, since the star has also disappeared… no doubt, buried in a box, somewhere in the garage. Anyway, about the BOW… not sure if I like it or not? It’s growing on me… I think. Now… with the tree firmly in place, next up… on my to do list, is the crowning glory of my Christmas displays, every year… my MOTION FIGURES. I have about a dozen. This year, I chose just four of them. All… favorites. A little boy, and a little girl… dressed up in their Victorian finery, carrying candlesticks, nestled among the poinsettias in my living room. A snowman, with antlers and flashing lights for the family room. And last, but not least… the life of the party, inside my house, every year… DANCING SANTA. At 5ft.Tall, he definitely commands attention… so I place him by the front window. With that done… it’s finally time to do outside. Evergreens, with white lights and pretty red bows, flanking the front door, on both sides. Green lights, on a snowman wreath… and more white twinkle lights outlining the door. Also, a couple of large bushes, nearby... are bathed in dazzling green lights… and finally… a life-size, wooden Santa and Snowman standing on the porch, are added to the display. Christmas has arrived at my house. Now, I’m making a list and checking it twice…

No comments: