Saturday, May 8, 2010

LINKLETTER MOMENTS

 Our family is proud. The granddaughter… complete with PURPLE gown, cap and tassel… marched up the aisle and collected her 2010 diploma, graduating from PRESCHOOL, this week. It was a tender moment filled with tears and smiles. The ceremony held all the 'Pomp and Circumstance' of an older crowd, and went off without a hitch… unless you want to count all the shout-outs, and waves, from the kids on the stage… to moms, dads, and grandparents, in the audience.
 
Before the event… on the big screen in the auditorium, the Preschool played a montage of magic moments from the past year. In it, teachers asked each student, now that they were heading off to kindergarten… what they wanted to be when they GREW up? With serious conviction each stated their goals. Their answers were typical Linkletter folly. Some just wanted to go to kindergarten. There was the little boy who wanted to play baseball, forever, for the high school team. Another boy… wanted to become a TRANSFORMER, because of the movie. One girl wanted to work where her mommy worked. Another wanted to be a mommy. I LIKED that one. It’s a noble profession, if I do say so myself. There were an endless array of children that wanted to be firefighters. When asked what their job would entail… they answered, simply… “To BURN down buildings.” A few wanted to be scientists or doctors, so they could help people. Others wanted to be teachers. One or two superheroes emerged. And then there was the little girl who stated unequivocally, she wanted to be a MERMAID… the reason why… because mermaids get to SWIM.
 Curious what my granddaughter was going to say, I anxiously waited for her response. The teacher asked, and she said, “A cop. I want to be a cop.” I gasped. This came as a BIG surprise to me. It’s going to take grandma a while, to wrap her head around this one. I NEVER want to see that precious child, in the line of fire. Of course, I’ll love her whatever, she decides to be, in the next eighteen, or so years. But.. I’m betting she changes her mind, sooner, rather than later. Especially, because the follow-up question to her was, “What do cops do?” My granddaughter just sat there, looking kind of puzzled, with no response. Bad guys – Beware! With a little coaxing, she figured it out.

4 comments:

Jan said...

I bet you were so proud ,I bet you had difficulty keeping the tears from your eyes ...love Jan xx

madcobug said...

Cute entry. Thanks for the comment you left in my blog.
Helen

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

A wonderful memory.

Nelle said...

Interesting. My nephew always wanted to be a cop (my grandfather was.) He was an NYPD officer and is now a NJ state trooper.He is so kind hearted I cannot picture him sometimes arresting people. I always pray for his safety.
Happy Mother's Day!
Nelle