Thursday, April 29, 2010

SOUNDS OF SILENCE

Being retired, I like to sleep in. It is one of the few luxuries I afford myself. This morning I was all comfy, cozy in my bed... when I awoke, to the drone of a riding mower outside. The engine rattled and rumbled at an obscene decibel level. Seems my neighbor decided to cut his lawn. How dare his chores interfere with my guilty pleasure. I glanced at the clock. It was 7:45 am. Give me a break. It was way too early, in my book, to be doing work of this magnitude. But, nonetheless… there he was, puttering around…. cutting away, disturbing my beauty rest and slowly driving me crazy. It would take him at least an hour to finish it. I wasn’t sure I could handle the noise for that long. I have treasured the SOUNDS OF SILENCE, long before Simon and Garfunkel, wrote about them. Besides, Mr. Neighbor had already cut his grass on Monday afternoon. And now, early on Thursday morning, here he was, at it again. Surely it hadn’t grown that much in three days time. Why on earth would he cut it again? What is the man’s problem? Then it hit me. He was panicking. Impending rain. The weather forecast called for stormy weather all weekend. So he was cutting ahead of some self imposed deadline. Still seems pretty ridiculous to cut so soon, after, you first did it. Why not wait a full week, like we do? Then the grass will show some real growth. Let those dandelions break the surface exposing their bright yellow buds. Pick them, make some wine. Let the spreading clover invite the honeybees for a tryst. Seriously, kick your shoes off and ENJOY nature, instead of whipping it into shape. I’m going back to sleep. A little R&R never hurt anyone. I’ll cut the grass, when I get to it, and not a second before… rain or shine.

4 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

It is a fine line between nice lawn and clumps when you mow. I had to cut tonight because it is supposed to rain the next few days and I did not cut last weekend.

Jan said...

How very inconsiderate of him ,I agree 7.45 is far to early to be spoiling your beauty sleep ,with so much poinless activity ,If Im woken too early I tend to go back for a while with my book ,hee hee ..love Jan xx

Sashindoubutsu said...

That's indeed a disappointing alarm to wake you up from sleep..

Nelle said...

We have a neighbor from Columbia who does some very odd things which really disturb us and others in our neighborhood, where the houses are quite close together. One morning we woke up at 5:30 a.m. and she was cutting her grass. Yes 5:30. My husband normally a calm man was yelling at her to turn off the mower. Her response was that this was the time she had available to do this and it was her lawn and noone could stop her. He told her she had to stop or we were calling the police. There is a noise ordanance and you cannot make loud noise before 8a.m. and after 10 p.m. She was continuing when the neighbor on the other side of her went out and also yelled at her. At that point she turned the mower off until about 7:30 I think. There's always one early bird who does not consider that others are not up at the crack of dawn. (Interestingly enough when this neighbor began mowing it was completley dark outside and we wondered how she could even see what she was doing!)