Friday, June 18, 2010

THE BUG

Earlier in the day, a rather large flying insect invaded the indoor perimeter of our house, slipping past two sleeping cats. Feeling guilty, they let the enemy, invade… the cats, later sprang to action, alerting me to the problem. Meanwhile, this enormous BUG struggled to find a WAY OUT, imprisoned by the obstacles inside our house. Both cats REJOICED at the challenge to chase and try to catch the FLYING invader. They performed amazing acrobatic feats that wooed and delighted me. Occasionally resting, the cats would EYEBALL me curiously, half expecting me, to turn the insect off, like a toy. But when I didn't, they reluctantly continued the chase, running in and out of every room in the house! With wings that fluttered faster than a hummingbird, this BIG bug refused to stay put... flying from place to place, acting crazier than you can imagine, probably because it felt trapped. Jumping on tables, stereo cabinets, kitchen counters and dressers... the cat's encounters with the flying daredevil were fleeting. Armed with a broom, I too joined the chase, trying to conquer this enemy within. At some point though... the whole thing started to get ridiculous. The cats, now bored… deferred to me, to take care of it, once and for all. Satisfied, I had the situation under control, when they saw me armed with our FLY SWATTER… both cats sauntered back into the living room to witness the bug’s demise. Totally exhausted from this INSECT'S escapades, I didn't feel confident... I would ever capture and destroy it. Not one of my feeble attempts resulted in victory. The cats seemed disappointed. DEFEAT STUNG. And since I could no longer pinpoint the bug’s exact location... because it stopped flying frantically about… I gave up the search and went about my business for the rest of the day. The problem is, that an insect, THAT BIG, just doesn't disappear? So either it left the way it came in, or it would be back. Later, as I was climbing into bed… there was a LOUD noise in the living room. I just knew it was that trouble making bug, back to drive us nuts, as our heads hit the pillow. TICKED OFF… I headed to the living room to see what all the commotion was about. After a brief inspection, I didn't see or hear the FLYING insect from earlier in the day... but I'd bet money, our cats knew where it was hiding. Because standing there, in the middle of the floor, were the two cats... playing tug of war with the FLY SWATTER. I headed back to bed, smiling. Let them take care of it.

5 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Those bugs can be infuriating. Hope you find its body soon :o)

TARYTERRE said...

I think we found it inside the Torchiere Lamp.

Lori said...

Great story! Hope you find it before it finds you!

I've been very remiss and trying to catch up with some great blogs, including yours!

Nelle said...

Someday I need to make a video of how our cat taunts the dog. He hides behind the TV and then when he sees the dog coming into the living room he tears towards him and runs up the stairs.Now the dog is in hot pursuit but the cat (much smarter) jumps up on the bed where the dog can't get to him. Once the dog relaxes and lays down next to the bed, the cat tears off and runs downstairs, with the dog in hot pursuit again. Then he jumps through the cat door into the garage (where his litter box and sleep teepee are.) SOOOO funny as the dog pushes his snout through the door to see, but knows there's no way he can get to him.
Brothers. lol

TARYTERRE said...

Isn't it wonderful? Family pets provide us with a houseful of free entertainment and all that unconditional love.