Saturday, June 5, 2010

THE CELEBRATION

My birthday came and went, but the lingering effects of it, remain. OUCH! I’m another year closer to sixty. The celebration was small, yet wonderful. Credit goes to my hubby who threw everything together. He always does a great job, year after year. One daughter was here, to party… she has officially moved back home with us. She’s unemployed. The other daughter, phoned home. She was busy at her in-laws, with her hubby and children. It would have been nice to also have them here, for my birthday… but her and I, will do dinner out, instead. My parents, who live back east, also called me… timed at the exact moment I was born, fifty-something years ago. It brought tears to my eyes. I was touched by the outpouring of affection. It made the festivities extra special. Only thing left to do, was to blow out all those candles, open gifts and sample the cake. My presents were simple and sweet. A PURPLE Kindle Cover, to replace the utilitarian black one, that’s now on it. Betsey Johnson perfume. A CD/DVD. A box of French Cremes. Some cash to buy whatever I want. And, last but not least… a gorgeous OPEN HEART pendant. Even the kitty-cats, remembered my special day. They gave me a card. Imagine that? I wonder how they got out of the house to buy it? Must have had help. I was giddy at the notion. It was a nearly perfect day. White cake with butter crème frosting, was next. My mouth had been watering at the thought of that first bite, all week long. So as I cut into the cake, the desire to have a mouthful was getting stronger and stronger. That is, until I saw chocolate crumbs on the cake knife. It stopped me dead in my tracks. I absolutely, positively HATE chocolate cake. Yet… hidden beneath the beautiful exterior, of white butter crème frosting, and pretty pink lettering, was chocolate. I was devastated. It was my birthday. I needed cake. But what could I do? Too late to fix the mistake. It wasn’t my husband’s fault. He had ordered white. So rather than make a big stink out of it, and let it ruin my day and everyone else’s… I declared, I would just finish cutting myself a piece, and then eat, the frosting, only. This delighted my guests. "Let them EAT cake."  There’s no accounting for taste.  I just hope this wasn't an OMEN of the year ahead.

12 comments:

Jan said...

A Very Happy Birthday ,it all sounded a lot of fun ,but what is a kindle ? ...love Jan xx

TARYTERRE said...

A Kindle is an Electronic Book Reader.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Glad you had a nice celebration :o)

LYN said...

BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
HOW DO YOU LIKE THE KINDLE?
I THINK I WOULD MISS TURNING THE PAGE..DOES THAT SOUND SILLY??

TARYTERRE said...

I'm still adapting. I like the fact the Kindle stores a gazillion books on it and it's easy to read. Has cool features. But I do miss the FEEL of a book in my hands. And it doesn't sound silly, at all... I do MISS turning pages, instead of pushing a button. It's just not the same. It's also harder to skip to the end.

salemslot9 said...

b-day card from
kitties is sweet
maybe, they like
chocolate cake
happy birthday

Missie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Ally Lifewithally said...

I just adore chocolate cake so any left overs you can send to me :O)~ Your day sounded just perfect "Happy Birthday" hope the coming year is a good one for you ~ Ally x

Nelle said...

OH no....I hope they replaced that cake with a white cake for you! They should have since it was their error. I have to tell you the cake for me IS the birthday. Long story but the bottom line is when I was a kid I had to share my birthday cake w/my brother. He was two years older than I. My birthday was July 8 and his the 10th.We shared a party AND cake. Mom made a two layer cake, cut it in half and we had a Hostess cupcake on top of our half with a candle in it. I never had a bakery cake, we couldn't afford it. Now hubby tries to outtop last year's cake and I have had some gorgeous cakes. Even though I am now diabetic, I will not pass on my birthday cake. We always do the cards from the dog and cat for mother's day/father's day. Yes, we are nuts. LOL

Nelle said...

P.S.
When I met hubby I was shocked to learn that he had a sister younger than him whose birthday was the day after his and he also, had to share a cake. His family sang to him, he blew out the candles. They were relit and sang to Jen who blew them out then they cut the cake. He GOT it. Never met anyone else who did. When his sister came to visit on his birthday I got them each their own cake and I don't know who was thrilled more.

TARYTERRE said...

My husband and his mother shared the same birthday. I think it's sad not to have your own cake.

madcobug said...

Happy Belated Birthday. My brother and I share the same birthday three years apart. I can't remember us ever sharing or even having a cake as we grew up but I am sure we did. We never see one another on our birthdays now but I usuallly call him. Helen