Saturday, October 9, 2010

MODERN CONVENIENCE

Recently, when our old dishwasher broke... we bought a new one. But my hubby wants to know why we wasted the money. He doesn’t feel I utilize this modern convenience to it’s fullest capacity. This is a source of contention between us. Maybe you can help. I’m curious about WHAT other people do in their households? Do you rinse off your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? Or do you put them in there, filthy dirty? Yours truly always washes mine off in hot water, with lots of soap, before loading the machine. My husband thinks I’m nuts. Why bother? He feels I should just throw them in there... full of gunk. I strongly disagree. The dirt will get caked on, and be harder to remove, especially if I‘m not using the dishwasher that day. Doing it my way… if I need an extra plate or spoon, throughout the week, before it‘s run… I don’t worry about taking something from there... I know they will be clean. I know what you’re thinking… I’m crazy, right? I should let the dishwasher do its job. Why bother to have a dishwasher, if I just use it, as a 'fancy' drying rack. I guess you can’t teach an old dog, like me, new tricks. I got into this habit of cleaning the plates, bowls and utensils, thoroughly… from back in the days, when I didn’t own a dishwasher. And as time’s gone by, I haven’t changed my mentality. So, if truth be told, I mostly use the dishwasher to sterilize. And that’s especially comforting, if we’ve been sick. Otherwise, having a dishwasher, for a family of two, isn’t really necessary, is it?  So why am I so happy, to have one?

3 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Read the fine print, not rinsing is key to saving water by using the DW over the sink. This one goes to hubby.

Monica said...

I wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I think of the DW as a way to sanatize them with the hotter water. I also agree the junk just bakes on and you have to work harder to get the stuff off. I'm with you on this one!

Donna said...

The book that came with my dishwasher said NOT to rinse them. Of course big chunks, pieces of bone, etc. are scraped off. Your hubby is right. My sister-in-law, though, rinses her dishes because they both work and it takes all week to fill up the dishwasher. She said it gets pretty stinky by the time she's ready to turn on the dishwasher if she doesn't rinse.