Friday, October 15, 2010

IS THE ORDEAL OVER?

My husband is a strong man. Little bothers him. In all the years we’ve been together, I’ve never seen him so sick, that he couldn’t function. But now he is absolutely, positively, miserable. He is in terrible pain. He has been suffering with a toothache for the past two weeks. One tiny, little tooth... has literally knocked... the wind out of his sails. The oral surgeon put him on an antibiotic to attack the infection in his mouth. But the pain hasn’t subsided, in all this time. He's been living on soup, alone... because he can't chew. Meanwhile, arrangements were made to have the EVIL tooth removed, since it can’t be saved. And after days of waiting, that finally happened today. My husband was put to sleep, to have it done. With COPD, this can be very tricky. They had to give him the right mix of oxygen during the procedure and carefully monitor him. He went ‘under’ around 1:20pm. I sat in the waiting room, in an uncomfortable chair, thumbing through an old stack of PEOPLE magazines, while he had surgery. My presence was required since he wouldn’t be able to drive home, by himself, afterwards. When I joined him in the recovery room, forty minutes later… he was lying on his side, bundled up with a burgundy colored blanket. He was white as a ghost. It frightened me. He looked so vulnerable. I’ve never seen him like that. He didn’t want to wake up. And he didn’t want to go home, either. He was comfortable where he was at. But with a little coaxing, they finally got him to sit up. He was still very groggy and his speech was terribly slurred. It was literally impossible to understand what he was saying.Twenty more minutes had passed. They asked me to bring the car around to the front entrance. It’s quite a trek. I was worried he wouldn't be able to make it because he was so unsteady. As a precaution, they decided to put him in a wheelchair, to bring him out to the van. I was surprised by this, but grateful, that they weren‘t taking any chances... since there was the possibility, he could collapse.  I was never so happy, to get him home, inside the house and situated in his recliner. However, once here... time dragged on. The bleeding in his mouth worsened. We went through dozens of gauze pads. He's still in alot of pain. Has a headache. His cheek is sore. He is one sick fella. But finally... after about four or five hours, his coloring had returned, and the bleeding lessened.  Suddenly, he was hungry and thirsty for some juice, Greek yogurt, and a Vicodin.  Will the ordeal be over soon? Time will tell. At least now, things are on the mend. Thank goodness. Unfortunately, our next dilemma, is finding him other kinds of food, he can eat, while healing. Soup is still at the top of the list. But at this point, he's had his fill of it. Any other suggestions?

7 comments:

Monica said...

Oh I feel for you and your husband! I've never seen Sonny sick either and then it happened and he needed surgery - a quick day surgery type thing. He was so pale, so weak it broke my heart to see my strong husband looking like that. Like you, I couldn't wait to get him home, in the comfort of our home.

I'm glad to hear he's doing better and on the mend. As for suggestions? Puddings? I don't know, I'm at a loss. If I think of something I'll come back. Sending positive healing vibes for your husband.

Sonya said...

Oh no...I hope he is better soon. I'm sure he will be fine in a few days. My Dad ate baby food when he had to go through something similar. However, it's not too tasty. Grits, oatmeal, yogurt, pudding, ice cream (yum) sounds better to me. Have a good weekend and hopefully his misery and pain will fade soon.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Tooth pain can be some of the worse, glad the worst is behind him.

Nelle said...

How is he doing?Please post an update. When I had my wisdom teeth removed my heart was acting irregular and the oral surgeon woke me up then continued on. It was a mess and it took me weeks before I ate anything other than soft foods. Hope he has recovered.

TARYTERRE said...

Hubby is doing much better. Though, dizzy from the pain meds. His jaw and the extraction site are still sore and he can't chew on that side of his mouth, yet. So... he's discovered the joys of REFRIED BEANS, OATMEAL, YOGURT and PUDDING.

TARYTERRE said...

P.S. Thanks for all the healing wishes. It means MORE than you know.

Lori said...

I hope he is much, much better now. Sounds like quite an ordeal!