Saturday, October 2, 2010

WARM TOES

Now that autumn is officially here, my thoughts are skipping ahead to that next seasonal transition. During the winter months, we turn back the thermostat to approximately 60 degrees, at night. And for some reason, it feels colder than it actually is, inside the house. I’ve tried in vain to get my husband to bump up the numbers a few notches, but he refuses. His COPD rules the roost. I’ve written about this before. He uses various medicines and inhalers to control it. But, most importantly, he keeps it very, very cool inside our house, so... according to him, he can breathe easier. Cooler temps are great in the summer, but in the dead of winter… not so much. Therefore, our bed is piled high with blankets and a comforter. But I still freeze my rear end off when I try to go to sleep. Plus all that excess material I’m weighted down with, as I toss and turn, is a real pain, too… especially since it doesn’t seem to do it’s job. Baby it’s cold inside. Snuggling helps and is obviously distracting. But it doesn’t completely eliminate the COLD. And to be honest, all this shivering interferes with a good nights sleep. I’ve tried jersey and flannel sheets, to add warmth. My hubby HATES them. So I have to listen to a litany of complaints. And frankly, I’m sick and tired of hearing them. Every winter season, I broach the subject of using an electric blanket, and get the idea shot down, by him. But surprisingly, this year he didn’t. I don’t know WHAT changed or WHY??? But all systems are now GO... for an electric blanket with dual controls. YEAH. I'm so excited. Unfortunately, the problem is… I don’t like any of the ones, I’ve seen on the market, so far. They’re flimsy and lightweight. You feel more wire, than blanket. I’m so disappointed. But... my quest has just begun… so keep your fingers crossed, that I find something, before the first snow flies. I’m seriously looking forward, to my first warm toes, in years.

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Sounds like a great solution, my folks swear by the dual controls.

Lori said...

Very strange that he changed his mind, but I'm happy for you! Hope you find the electric blanket that works well for you.