Saturday, March 26, 2011

CAR ACCIDENT

In shock, with pain radiating across my back and chest, I was taken by ambulance from the scene of the accident to the hospital. My daughter was also transported there. It had started off as a normal day. The two of us had traveled across town to go grocery shopping. After we loaded the car with groceries, my daughter wanted me to make a quick stop at Subway to pick up a breakfast sandwich. They make one with egg whites, so she was craving it. I told her that would be okay. I wasn’t hungry because I had already eaten before we left. I made a split decision to go through downtown, instead of the back way. As I approached the Y intersection going that way, the light was green… but a person had stopped their car and was just sitting there. I had just enough time to slam on my brakes and avoid hitting them. I honked my horn. “ MOVE!” I shouted. Then I pumped my brakes to warn others behind me, we were stopped. I thought to myself, this was going to cause an accident. I looked in my rearview mirror, traffic seemed well behind me. The guy in front of me, still wasn't moving. My daughter said something to me, distracting me from turning on my flashers. Then, the next thing I know... we were thrown forward. BANG! CRASH! Rear-ended. It was at this point… the car in front of me, sped away. UNBELIEVABLE. I had avoided hitting him and now someone had hit me. The minutes that followed are almost a complete blur. As we were loaded into the ambulances, my car was towed from the scene to an undisclosed location. And I briefly thought about all the perishable groceries inside. What a waste. This was the least of my worries. At the hospital, I was given oxygen, hooked up to monitors, IVs. They took vials of blood. They thought I might be having a heart attack. So more tests and then tons and tons of X-Rays. My daughter was going through a similar routine. Fortunately, my husband and other daughter arrived to hold our hands, while we waited for results. All I wanted to do was go home. We had been in the hospital all day long. My prayers were finally answered. First they released my daughter. Then an hour after that, yours truly… got to leave, too. Still shook up, we were nauseous and ached everywhere. But it COULD have been, so much WORSE. What if I had hit the car in front of me, too? Three or four days have passed, and things are slowly getting back to normal, here at home. Unfortunately, I keep reliving the accident, over and over in my head. I hope that in time, that will subside. But, in the meantime... I don’t think I’ll be going near that Y intersection, anytime soon.

13 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh nooooo...I am so glad that you are ok!
Glad your daughter is too.

madcobug said...

Glad that you both are doing ok.
Helen

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank the dear Lord you are both ok. Accidents are terrible things and always leave you feeling bad and scared too. It'll be a long time before the memory of that goes away. I've only ever been in one and that was a long time ago. I didn't even want to drive after that. It took awhile and made me a very defensive driver too.

LYN said...

glad you are okay...how awful!!

Angela said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my "techno" entry... thought I'd stop by to say hello to you and was surprised and sorry to read your entry about the car accident. I'll bet you are re-living that day. Hope all is well with you and your daughter.

(and I'm with you... I'd avoid that intersection like the plague whenever possible!)

Take care!

That corgi :) said...

first time visiting your blog; saw your comment over at Ma's journal and decided to check you out. I am so sorry about this car accident! It did sound terrible, worse yet that the person who was stopped just sped away like that; I think in all that happened that is the worse thing too, trying to figure out why he didn't move and probably not being able to find him for his side of the story to help with accountability. I am glad that you/daughter are okay. I would imagine you will suffer some post traumatic stress about this for awhile. I'd talk with your doctor down the road a bit if you are still having flashbacks of the accident to see what they can do to help you deal with it. Again, so sorry but so thankful all are fine.

betty

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

How SCARY! So glad you are okay.

natalie said...

Hi.
What a horrible event ! And how stressful!
I am so grateful that you and your daughter are a-ok!
Please come visit me at Lurkynat.
I saw you at Lori's blog; she is wonderful!
hugs, natalie
Lurkynat

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

So glad that it was not worse. Take care of yourself.

Nelle said...

I am so very sorry that this happened to you two. I was in a bad accident when I was 19 and was hit head on by a U Haul truck. My car was totalled and I was released from the ER with a minor concussion. I had bad dreams for weeks about it. Eventually they stopped. I hope you are feeling better by now.
Take care,
Nelle

Nannie Leick said...

Yes, it could have been so much worse. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how did the police report turn out? If there’s any camera in that intersection, it’s easy to prove that you just stopped your car to avoid slamming to the other car. I hope that accident no longer haunts you after all these years.

Regards,
Nannie Leick

Guadalupe Puthoff said...

It’s really disappointing how reckless drivers would just run away from their responsibilities. What if this accident happened again, and it was them who were placed in your situation? You’ve been blessed for surviving that ordeal. Anyway, I hope that you have recovered from the trauma that the accident has caused you.

- Guadalupe Puthoff

Ken Jackson said...

I totally agree with you, Guadalupe! The roads would be a lot safer if people thought more about the consequences of not paying enough attention to what they're doing. Imagine all the lives that can be saved just by staying focused on the wheel and the streets!

Regards,
- Kendra @ KassorLaw.com