Saturday, March 19, 2011

MOM SAVED THE DAY

I have speckled enamel cookware. It’s old fashioned but modern. I chose the Avocado green color. It reminded me of fresh vegetables. I love looking at it. I love cooking with it. I LOVE it period. So when I was in the market for a 5 qt. sauté pan… I exhausted all possibilities, including online… looking for one in that color, to replace the ugly old generic pan I owned. I finally contacted the manufacturer of the speckled enamel pans. Unfortunately they no longer carried it in green. Go figure. I thought I had new cookware, but apparently it was outdated. The company told me they had recently added new colors to their inventory. So I had a decision to make. Which one? Turquoise Blue, Brick Red or Pumpkin Orange. After much debate, I chose the pumpkin. I thought it best complimented the green pieces I already had. My local Wal-Mart carried it for $43. Cha Ching! SOLD! A year has passed since making that purchase. Unfortunately that ugly generic pan never got tossed. It is still in use, along side the speckled enamel one, because I sometimes need to use two big pans, when cooking a meal. But it’s getting really ratty, so out in the garbage it went. I’m now short a pan. So I went on a shopping expedition to get a matching one. Would you believe I can’t find one anywhere. No pumpkin. Does this sound familiar? Remember the problem with the green? A little birdie told me, they’re introducing MORE new colors. Oatmeal Beige, Butter Yellow and Eggplant Purple. The orange is considered passé and will probably be discontinued. This is ridiculous. It’s only a year old. My heart was set on Pumpkin. I casually mentioned this dilemma to my mother, when I was talking to her on the phone, a week ago. She lives on the east coast. She said she’d see what was available there and get back to me. She SAVED the day. Though there was nothing local, she found one on a day-trip she made out of state. She excitedly called to tell me. She said it was my birthday gift. My birthday isn't until May. I was so excited. I told her to hang onto it... until I could make the trip east to get it. I didn’t want her spending a fortune to ship it. Too costly. But being a mom, she knew how important this was to me. UPS arrived the other day with a package full of goodies, including the saute pan. MOM you’re an ANGEL. I love you. I don't have enough words to say THANKS.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

Cool! Moms rock!

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Glad you are up to full pan strength again.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is amazing how fast they keep changing things now. I find it hard to keep up with it all. I tried to replace some place settings for my daughter about a year after she got married and they'd already discontinue the dishes she had. It used to be that you could keep the same kind for ever and it one broke it was easily replaced too. Glad your mom found it for you!

Nelle said...

I cannot believe they would discontinue the green OR pumpkin. Rachel Ray uses the orange pans and sells them at Kohl's and they are very popular. Martha Stewart has enameled pots too and in Macys yesterday was the green. This company should add colors without removing what they have.Glad you found it though. Did you try the Irish soda bread?

Lori said...

What a sweet and wonderful mother you have!
I hate that they discontinue something after it's only been out a year or so. Sometimes you can find what you're looking for on ebay, but sometimes you just have to go with something else. I just decided I don't care if everything matches or not! If it still works and I like it, then I use it! lol

natalie said...

Way to go , your mother! :):):):)
It does sounds like she did the absolute great thing!
hugs
natalie
Lurkynat
p.s. I hope you are having a great spring!