Saturday, March 12, 2011

LEARN THE HARD WAY

I don’t drive too far away from home on a weekly basis, but my husband does. He commutes to a daily job and racks up the mileage - about 140 miles per day. The high cost of gasoline is really adding up for him. Me, not so much. But, I trick myself to make my bottom line seem less outrageous. When it goes down a little, about once a week… I’ve been topping my tank, so I don’t keel over from the shock of the final total. My husband, on the other hand, fills up every day or two. So, he’s really seeing the truth and feeling the pinch. Last weekend we were running errands and running low on fuel. We decided to get some gas. We pulled up to the pump and my husband did what he always does. He puts the gas handle in the tank, sets it to automatic, so it starts pumping, and then gets back in the van. I chided him, saying I never do that. He wondered why not. He tells me it’s much more convenient than standing out in the cold, with your hand pulling the lever. I told him I don’t trust it. What’s not to trust? He thinks I’m being silly, making things more difficult than they need to be. I disagree, so we end up talking about something else. My husband glances back at the pump to see if it’s almost done. Then we hear a sound we weren’t expecting. SURPRISE! SURPRISE! The automatic shutoff didn’t work. Gasoline was being pumped everywhere. My hubby jumped out of the van and immediately yanked the handle out of the gas tank. Only then did it trip off. But not before it had spilled three or four gallons of gas around the pump and our vehicle. As a result, my husband ruined a good pair of shoes. I tried not to step in it, myself, when I went inside the station to tell the attendant what had happened. I knew it was a potentially dangerous situation. But the folks in charge weren’t too concerned and said they’d send someone outside to deal with it, later. So we waited and prayed nobody threw a lit cigarette butt on the ground, in the meantime. What a day. My husband had debated the topic of the automatic shutoff with me at nauseam before this happened. Now he was chagrined. To add insult to injury, he had to PAY for the gasoline that spilled. I didn’t say a word.

6 comments:

Sonya said...

This happened to us a couple of years ago. We were cold and waiting in the car. It seemed to take ages. We had a large spill and a large over payment as well.

LYN said...

I don't trust them either!! I see other people doing it all the time though..
What are you reading theses days? I'm on an Elin Hilderbrand kick at the moment..most of her books are set in Nantucket...

Nelle said...

In NJ were I live it is illegal to pump your own gas. Many years ago there was a large gas spill and a terrible accident when it caught on fire. I am always very nervous when I drive to another state where I have to fill it. I look helpless until someone else pumps it for me and I never leave the nozzle until it's removed. I am so nervous about gas spills and such. It seems that there should be fines once a gas station knows that a nozzle is not shutting off.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Lisa said...

You may not believe this but last Wednesday hubby was pumping gas and did the same thing! I was inside waiting to pay and saw the gas flying out while he was sitting in the truck staring off in to space thinking about who knows what! He said it was several gallons and of course we had to pay for it. The lady at the cash register called him an idiot. I didn't say much, at that time I wasn't going to disagree. Of course that pales compared to when he drove off with the nozzle in the tank.
Lisa

Lori said...

Oh my! That was very good of you not to say "I told you so!"