Wednesday, April 27, 2011

WORRIED, STRESS TEST

My husband is stressed out, BIG TIME. He’s scheduled to have a chemical Stress Test this week. Because of his back and leg problems he can’t do the one on the treadmill. For months he’s been pacing the floor with worry over it. He’s mad at the doctor for insisting he have this procedure. He’s convinced he’s going to have a heart attack during it... and end up being admitted to the hospital. Or worse yet, he’s afraid he’ll die right there on the table. Part of it, is due to the fact, he’s heard stories about other men, who have had complications, during or following a Stress Test. He’s positive he’s going to join their ranks. Couple this with the fact… he just had a really scary, unpleasant experience, less than a month ago. Remember, his veins infiltrated and he was in excruciating pain for another test, this doctor had requested. Plus, on top of this, he has COPD, which comes with it‘s own set of problems. He just feels the odds are stacked against him. I’m trying to be upbeat and positive, citing the fact it’s a routine procedure and he‘ll be surrounded by doctors and technicians who know their stuff. He reminds me about the mess they made at the last test. So... I keep telling him, that this gut feeling he has... is nothing more than irrational fears. But between you and I… there’s also a little voice inside me, telling me not to take his dire predictions for granted. In this great big game of life, nothing is certain. You just never know. So I’m saying my prayers and hoping for the best.

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Anymore it seems there are so many tests to be done and all of them are unpleasant. Yes, things to happen sometimes, but they do save a lot of people. I know several that have had stress tests of both kinds and in some cases it was a life saver. I know you'll both be very relieved when it is all over. I'll be praying too that all goes well and that there are only good results too.

Nelle said...

I was also very fearful of that chemical stress test BUT mine went fine. I have an artificial heart valve and high blood pressure but I sailed through it like a champ. I am hoping and praying that he does the same.
Good luck to you both :)

Ally Lifewithally said...

I do hope everything goes well for your Husband ~ sometimes the thought of what is going to happen is worse than the test could be ~ I know I always get worked up before a Hospital appointment ~ thinking the worst but thankfully everything always turns out to be OK ~ Ally x

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

It is better to test in a controlled environment than to leave things to chance. Hope things go well.

TARYTERRE said...

He survived the test. The results look good. All this worry for nothing.

Lori said...

I hope the test went well Terry!