Saturday, April 16, 2011

TWO CENTS WORTH OF WHITE DIAMONDS

Let me stick my two cents worth in here. It’s not every day you find a bargain, even if you go searching for one. So imagine my complete and utter surprise… when a salesclerk rang up a recent purchase I was making... and the cash register said it was only two cents. You heard me. The beautifully packaged, one fluid ounce, perfume I was buying... cost TWO CENTS. I just about died. There must be some mistake. You can’t buy much of anything for a dollar, these days, much less two cents. The price of the perfume was clearly marked on the outside of the package. It said $19. It was a fancy bottle of Elizabeth Taylor’s WHITE DIAMONDS. I regularly use ANGEL perfume, so I had never tried this type before. And with Taylor's recent death… thought getting it would be a way I could pay homage to the star. You see… she and my father shared a birthday. So... I grew up hearing all about her. Little did I know then, that one day, her highly marketed fragrance would be such a STEAL. According to the clerk, the perfume was a Christmas clearance item that miraculously hadn’t sold until I came along in April. Therefore, it had been marked down and discounted over and over again, as Wal-Mart waited for it to sell. Was I lucky or what? I don’t know what it smells like, though.  I may or may not find the scent appealing or even tolerable. Admittedly, at full price it was a bit of a risk to take. But for a measly TWO CENTS… it was worth the experimentation on my part and the bragging rights. This had to be the Sale of the Century. Can you believe it? TWO CENTS.

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Wow! What a sale you found and you didn't even know about it! Since you didn't know whether or not you'd like it, that was a terrific bargain. Even if it turns out that you don't like it, I'd keep it around anyway for memories sake. What a nice way to remember your Dad.

Angela said...

My daughter emerges from her room every day in a cloud of White Diamonds.

And as far as the two cents go? I think I would keep the bottle as a trophy of the Best Bargain Ever. A steal, indeed!

Sonya said...

Wow that is crazy. lol. Hope it smells good. lol

madcobug said...

Sounds like a bargain to me. I hope you enjoy wearing it. Helen

Nelle said...

I would have asked if they had more anywhere I could purchase as gifts. LOL I love a good bargain!