Monday, September 12, 2011

HIDDEN TREASURE

This is our cherub. He's a special guy. I placed him in the front yard... sitting in a flowerbed... where I can see him from my patio, night and day. In his hands he holds a golden gazing ball. When the sun glints off the globe it is ethereal. This beautiful cherub once graced the perimeter of a delightful water fountain I had on the property. It was removed, many years ago. At the time, this sweet fella had been tipped over and accidently buried beneath all the dirt. He had gone missing for about 8-10 years. I had forgotten he was there, until I saw an arm exposed. Fortunately the ball was hidden away inside the house, protected from the elements, sitting in my kitchen, inside another container. It had become such a fixture in my life, as it was... that I failed to recall where the ball had originated. It gave me such joy to rescue this piece of statuary. It brings me a real sense of calm when I am weary of everyday rhetoric. It offers me peace and serenity, where there was none. It will be at my house for many years to come. This time... appreciated and loved. Here are some photos of the other cherubs I've seen around town. And one Angel. You can click on them for a closer look. ENJOY! Have you ever found a hidden treasure in  your yard or at your house? Share your story in my comment section. I'll see you back here on the 23rd with a new blog post.

8 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I like your cherub; glad you rediscovered him after all those years! Living where we are living now, so far no hidden treasure, lots of clutter, but nothing that signifies to me hidden treasure.

betty

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

We have little decoration, going mostly natural.

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a stroke of luck to unearth the hidden cherub after all those years I can't recall ever finding a hidden treasure, unless you count sand dollars on the beach.

Any word yet on your daughter's probably move to AZ?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

He is a treasure for sure. It's wonderful that you have a place that gives you so much comfort and joy. I love my back patio and spend hours there on summer evenings. I don't have a cherub to grace my space but we have lots of flowers and herbs, birds and butterflies to watch and it's very peaceful

jack69 said...

What a beautiful story or once lost and not found. Amazing being buried like that for so long.
Love it.
Sherry & jack today on the road.

Buttercup said...

Nothing quite as lovely as your cherub. I did find a book of coupons for Dunkin Donuts coffee yesterday that I had misplaced.

Forty Pound Sack said...

Years ago I lived in a rented house that stood on a high bank overlooking the Mississippi. We were the first ones to live in that house, and I found out that at one time, our lot had been the town dump, until the town pushed its borders too close, at which time the trash was excavated and moved. I love to garden and pretty much every time I dug a flower bed I found some sort of "treasure": pretty old colored glass bottles, a silver spoon, old plastic toys. Once I found several parts to an old car, including the engine block and a seat belt. Some treasure was nicer than others, LOL. But it was an adventure for sure ~

LYN said...

I love fairies and one day while the guys were playing Horseshoes they uncovered one that had been buried for years in my back yard...come to think of it it's disappeared again! Hmmm....