Monday, October 3, 2011

OLIVER IS THERAPEUTIC

Meet Oliver. Are you in love? I am. Just look at those eyes. He is a real sweetheart, isn't he?  What you don't know is this... that adorable dog, is actually a registered volunteer at our local hospital. Oliver interacts with all the patients and staff. He is a good listener and provides lots of comfort to those in need. He loves being petted. And he thoroughly enjoys his job as a therapy dog. He tries to make everyone’s day a little brighter, just by being there. He is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. And he is ten years old. My husband and I had a chance to meet him during a recent hospital visit. He touched our lives and put joy in our hearts. We found out that Oliver works for the DELTA SOCIETY. They are a national non-profit organization that helps people by incorporating companion animals into their daily lives. “Delta Society's Pet Partners program trains and screens volunteers with their pets so they can visit patients/clients in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice and physical therapy centers, schools, libraries and many other facilities. Over 10,000 handler/animal teams bring comfort and compassion to those in need. These dedicated volunteers and their pets have been credited for helping people forget about their pain, providing distractions so nurses can perform medical procedures on patients and inspiring patients recovering from strokes and heart attacks to perform more physical therapy exercises than when they work with just their human therapist.” It is a well-known fact that when animals are around… people’s blood pressure will drop signifigantly. They will feel less depressed. Less lonely. And they will also experience less anxiety and stress. The DELTA SOCIETY depends on individuals and corporations for financial support. They receive no government funding. My husband and I are putting them on our Christmas List this year and will be making a donation. It is one of three charities we support. The other ones are… THE ROLLING DOG FARM, a place where disabled animals enjoy life. And HEIFER INTERNATIONAL, where impoverished families around the world receive training and gifts of animals (heifers, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.) that help them become self-reliant. The theory is… ‘it is better to teach a man to fish so he can feed himself than to give him a fish that will feed him just once.’ The links to these charities are listed below. The holiday season is almost upon us. When thinking of what you want for Christmas this year… think of others. Include them in the budget. It is truly better to give, than receive.

http://www.deltasociety.org/

www.rollingdogfarm.org/

http://www.heifer.org/

14 comments:

That corgi :) said...

Oliver is so cute and what a wonderful service he provides!! I have heard great things about theraeputic animals such as Oliver! I also like your suggestion of thinking of others as the holidays approach. For several years, my side of the family have given to each other's favorite causes as gifts to each other. One year hubby and me gave to each other gifts from World Vision, he got a part of a well and I got a goat (money donated to those causes). Honesty, I rather do things like this then get a present I don't need or have to exchange; I'm with you, it is so much better to give than receive!

betty

Forty Pound Sack said...

Oliver is adorable. I'm very touched that at this difficult time in your own life you are so focused on helping others. Hugs to you ~

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

He is just as cute as can be. I'm sure he makes lots of folks smile. How wonderful it must be to see that adorable face come to visit. Hope your Monday is a wonderful one. It's a chilly day in northern Ohio.

jack69 said...

This is a very good post. Yes that pup could steal your heart. I have seen the handlers bringing the dogs thru, never knew there was an organization. what a good thing. We will be looking into heifer.org. Sounds good.
From the uper end of the turn pike...
Jack & Sherry

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What a lovely dog and what an interesting post.

Hope that you have a good week.

Fiona

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

A noble calling for a pup. My first time in clown makeup was at a nursing home, one of my best memories.

Rose said...

Oliver is just the best! Great Post!

Bobbi said...

Oliver is a sweetie! I know that dogs can bring about better health.. and Gracie has helped me through some tough times as well, and I've seen my BP return to normal just by having her jump up on the bed beside of me.

Sonya said...

That is really neat. Like Oliver. I always wonder if Tugie should be doing something like that. She would be so good as she likes attention and loves people.

Marinela Reka said...

Oliver is really cute!
You have such a great blog.

Short Poems

Buttercup said...

I'm in love, too. A friend of mine just started chemotherapy and the therapy dog that visited gave her a tremendous boost. Wishes for a great week!

Nelle said...

He is adorable. One of my neighbor's takes her cocker spaniel to a local nursing home where he gets a lot of attention. I give to Samaritan's Purse each Christmas and also in memory of my grandmother on Mother's Day and her birthday. You can pick what animals you want to give and I love doing that. This year am giving small stuffed animals that say "Jesus loves Me" since that was one of the last sentences my Dad said. It will be in his memory and seemed perfect but giving a beehive in Grandma's memory because she was so sweet. :)

Whosyergurl said...

Oliver is precious. They say that one's blood pressure is lowered by spending time with an animal. They are so loving and kind. Giving, never taking.
Love, love! xo, Cheryl

Lori said...

What a cutie! How could you not feel better with that little guy around?