Monday, January 23, 2012

LEFTOVERS AN INTERNATIONAL DELIGHT

I am finally back on my feet, after my recent illness. Following 8-10 days with little if any food, I am now cooking up a storm and eating too. I was apparently starving. It is only my husband and I here at the house. Yet... I have a tendency to make enough FOOD to feed an army. Well, maybe not an army. LOL - But definitely enough for a very LARGE family. So the leftovers have been piling up. Because I haven’t left the house much recently, due to the fact I was so sick… I wanted to go out somewhere tonight to eat, instead of cooking in. I thought we could use a gift card we got at Christmas to offset the cost. My husband immediately nixed the idea. He wanted to spend a quiet evening at home watching Desperate Housewives and Pan Am. But after telling me this… he then had the gall to ask what I was going to make for dinner. I was a tad bit peeved. Say what? Were you NOT listening mister? I am NOT in the mood to cook. Nor was I in the mood... to listen to him COMPLAIN about any menu I might put together. He is very particular about his food. And expresses his dissatisfaction often, though he won't lift a finger to help. So I thought about it for a minute or two, then decided we’d have a SAMPLER PLATE using up the leftovers. On the surface that sounds GOOD. But the diversity in flavors from the refrigerator contents was enormous. Didn’t know if we were ready to combine them all at once? However, my husband is all about saving a dime, these days, because he’s unemployed, so he agreed, LEFTOVERS it was. Biryani Chicken, Artichoke Ravioli, and Peanut Thai Salmon were the dishes. I divided them up between our two plates. Then... heated them up in the microwave. I added fresh radishes and snowpeas to the plates, for vegetables. Although a bit unconventional, the combination of INTERNATIONAL flavors made this SAMPLER PLATE an instant hit with both of us. Everything was even MORE delicious the second time around. I must admit it was better than a trip to a restaurant. Our delighted palates went from India, to Italy, and Thailand. Dessert was Cherry Paczki from Poland. Perfect for a dismal snow covered night. Have you ever had an impromptu dinner of leftovers… that took you on an exotic trip around the world… out of your doldrums?




21 comments:

Pat MacKenzie said...

What an interesting meal. I love leftovers but we eat them up fast because Lloyd refuses to eat anything that's been in the fridge more than 3 days. Your international feast looks yummy.

Jon said...

Those are some fancy leftovers! I had leftovers today and they didn't look nearly as good (that food should be a delightful incentive for getting well).

Lisa said...

Mmmmmmm your dinner sounds good. Glad you are feeling better, Hugs Lisa

One day at a time said...

lovely to have you back x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Being on my own, I do eat a lot of leftovers. I purposely fix enough so I can have them. Even when I'm cooking for my family I try to make enough so they can take some home with them too. Your leftovers look wonderful and the dessert you enjoyed is one of my favorites. We get them here only during lent and I usually don't have them until just before Ash Wednesday! Now I'll have to look and see if they have them available here. Glad you are feeling so much better! Your meal was probably better than anything you could have found if you'd gone out.

RoeH said...

Well first, typical man. I have no use for any of them. They can cook as well as any woman but complaining is easier for some reason. I think you did yourself proudly in getting up what you created. I'd have called in for pizza. :))

Nelle said...

Welcome back and so glad you are feeling better! When it's cold out I tend to cook so that we will have leftovers. I have been trying some crock pot recipes and love it. One night I made Sonya's chili and another potato leek soup. I also made beef stew and ribs. Last night Rob insisted on watching his Patriots play and I asked him: ribs, stew or chili? He chose ribs. That means stew tonight. The artichoke ravioli sounds delish! I don't do too much international cooking but my aunt will be here tomorrow and she does.

jack69 said...

So glad you are feeling better. You amaze me, I don't even recognize a couple of the names, not an international food eater, well Mexican, I know, at Taco Bell. LOL.

The plate looks delicious and you make it sound great.

Smart thing, saving a dime, nikel or dollar. LOL

I have eaten local foods in all the countries and places we have been, just don't know the names of it. hahaha

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sounds delicious...I'm happy you are feeling better...I know the feeling..I here lots of complaints but little or no help either! Some times a night out is the ticket but sounds like your creativity was worth a wait! Have a wonderful Monday!

Sheila Y said...

Glad you are on the mend. I do have leftovers at times but nothing as international as yours...ha. Probably Italy (spaghetti) at best. It all sounded yummy. Take care, Sheila

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

Looks yum!

S
xo

Bobbi said...

Awesome leftovers!! And I am sooo glad you're feeling better! It was Desperate Housewives for us as well..

Lucy said...

Well, I have somethings that I should do the same with. A little of this and a little of that but it works most off he time.I did not get back to you yesterday or anyone which was unusual for me, but after cooking for Spunky, I just sat in the recliner. Joe was getting his check up, so it was just me and Spunky.

alphawoman said...

Can I come over to your house to eat? lol. Sounds wonderful.

Soos said...

Hooray for international cuisine! My own leftover plates often look like that! Looks ono (Hawaiian for delicious)! But the cherry pastry made me reach for a pre-dinner cookie.

Tami @ Not Just a HOCKEY MOM said...

I gave you an award. Check out my post for today!

Nezzy said...

Those are some gooood lookin' leftovers sweetie!!!

I'm so happy your feelin' better.

God bless and have phenomenal day!!! :o)

jaz@octoberfarm said...

sounds like my kind of meal! i am going to be making paczki for easter this year!

Red Rose Alley said...

Yes, I've had left overs, but none that were that international. They sound delicious, especially those raviolis. And that cherry dessert!! I love anything with cherries. And did you know that my Father was part Greek and Polish? I love going out to restaurants, but sometimes it's nice to just have a quiet meal at home. I'm glad you enjoyed your evening...and you saved money - that's always a good thing nowadays. You are the first to hear my good news. I have been wanting a camera for so long, and tonight my husband is out getting me one. Yaaay! Enjoy the rest of the weekend, my friend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

We often make multiple meals, and I always have something to heat in my lunch box :o)

Lori said...

So sorry you were sick, but so glad you are feeling better now!