Sunday, November 24, 2013

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

 

Many years ago.... One of the first Thanksgiving's my hubby and I spent together did not exactly go according to plan. We lived near a lake. And we loved to walk around it. This would take some time, though. So we'd make a day of it. On this particular Thanksgiving Day... the sky was clear, and the weather was exceptional for a walk. Anxious to get started... we hurriedly made the oyster stuffing, cranberry relish and dressed the bird.  Once we put the turkey in the oven, we headed out, anxiously anticipating a delicious mouthwatering meal when we returned 3 hours later. As usual we enjoyed traipsing through the landscape for our walk. The first clue something was not quite right on the home front came when we opened the front door, on our return. The succulent fragrance of oven roasted turkey did not hit our nostrils. Instead we smelled nothing. Nothing at all. We rushed to the oven door, flipped it open to see what was wrong, only to discover we never turned the oven on. Talk about disappointment. We were famished and had nothing to eat. It was almost 6 o'clock. And being a tad bit naive about bacteria and such things... we simply shut the oven door and flipped on the switch. Dinner was served after 9 pm, that night. And we didn't get food poisoning. But we learned a valuable Thanksgiving lesson. Be willing to laugh at your mistakes. And ALWAYS check the on/off button on your stove when cooking a big meal. I wish each and every one of you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Do you have any Turkey Day tales????

16 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that is such a funny story! i think thanksgiving overwhelms people because they don't usually cook that much food at one time. it's all about planning and timing...and being able to laugh at yourself! happy thanksgiving!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving story. I like your attitude. Better to laugh than to cry. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Rose said...

Great Thanksgiving story. Something you will remember every Thanksgiving Day......you will never forget to turn the oven on again! LOL

Enjoy your holidays!

Jon said...

That's an amusing story and I'm glad you didn't get food poisoning. I've forgotten to turn the oven on numerous times but never with a turkey.

I hope this upcoming Thanksgiving will be a joyous one for you - - and be sure to check the oven carefully!

jack69 said...

Ah ha! I love to hear someone else's Thanksgiving mis-step. Now I know I am not alone. Love it and glad it turned out okay anyway.
BUT it made a neat entry!!!!
THANKS, you seem to be able to turn things around....(smile)

Paula said...

I'm sure that was a big disappointment but you didn't say what you did eat for lunch. A bologna sandwich perhaps? I make so many mistakes I can't even think of one now. Bet that meal was good even if you ate it late.

betty said...

Too cute!! Good moral of the story too to check to make sure the oven is on. I remember my mom saying the first turkey she cooked, she didn't know aobut the giblets that were tucked in the neck, so they got cooked, paper and all, LOL :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

betty

Donna said...

I love it! Great story. I wouldn't have been afraid to go ahead and cook the turkey.

Donna said...

I love it! Great story. I wouldn't have been afraid to go ahead and cook the turkey.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I think the food poisoning thing is a bit over done. I remember my mother leaving foods out far longer than they recommend nowadays and we never got sick.

I don't cook Thanksgiving dinner anymore, but I do the big Christmas dinner. Every year I have the same dream several times before the big dinner. I dream that I forgot to thaw the turkey and don't realize it until just before time to put it in the oven.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre,
That was a delightful story. You must have been so surprised to see that the oven wasn't even on. That's nice that you can laugh about it today. And I'm impressed that you have all your Christmas shopping done already. I'm almost there, have a few things left to buy. We are going to Nel's house for Thanksgiving, so it should be interesting to see how she sets the table and all.

Happy Thanksgiving, dear, and enjoy your turkey!

Love,
~Sheri

ps every year I take a plate of food and give it to one homeless person. I haven't done this in a couple of years, so thank you for reminding me of my tradition.

slugmama said...

The only uh oh moment at Thanksgiving was the year I forgot to take the bag o' giblets out of the cavity.....one of the few years I had decided NOT to stuff the turkey.
Hubs was carving away on the bird and cut into the paper bag they were in and couldn't figure out why paper was inside our turkey.
Because he had never cooked a turkey himself I suppose so he was clueless.

I should have checked the innards of that danged bird....lol

Roses around the door... said...

Happy thanks giving day x

Forty Pound Sack said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I would have cooked the turkey, too. And I still bake the stuffing inside the bird, though it's not supposed to be good for you that way. I make a pan to bake seperate, too, in case anyone worries about such things. :)

Hollie said...

I know you were disappointed!! Glad things worked out in the end!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Carol Z said...

Now I probably would have eaten the sides while the turkey cooked. Hope you had a great day.