Tuesday, June 17, 2014

REPURPOSING A Relic from the Past


I love being outside on my patio. We have one in the backyard and one in the front yard. The one out back has been abandoned by yours truly in favor of the front one. Years ago, before the onslaught of today's fire-pits... I decided I wanted to enjoyed a fire outside. But there was nothing commercially available for that purpose except chimineas. Because we couldn't handle the weight of one of those, without the possibility of breaking it, we had to come up with another solution. Building something was not cost effective. So... we gave it a lot of thought and couldn't figure anything else out. Then... one day I was exploring a quaint antique store in Indiana. Back in the corner, almost hidden from view, I saw an old potbelly stove. I instantly knew I had my outdoor fireplace. So I had the proprietor load it in the car and I brought it home. After repurposing it... it has housed many outdoor patio fires, throughout the years. And it has brought me great joy. It was more than worth the price I paid. But these days the weed trees have overtaken the back patio and I seldom if ever get out there to use it. My hubby has COPD and with my bad knees we can't really do the clean up needed to spruce the place up to it's former glory. It makes me sad seeing that old potbelly stove just sitting there. Makes me wonder if I should sell it and pass on the joy it could bring. What do you think???? Should I keep it for old times sake?  Or not?


14 comments:

betty said...

It is a neat looking stove! Any possibility you can get a neighbor teen to clean up the area for you for some spending money for themselves?

betty

Jon said...

I wish I lived near you. I would gladly clear out a place for your treasured potbelly stove. Whatever you do, don't sell it. Keep it for old time's sake. Who knows, perhaps you'll be able to use it again.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that stove is wonderful! i'd hire someone to clean the area up and then build fires!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a unique idea for having an outdoor fire. I don't have any place to put something like that here but used to love the campfire when we camped. Hope you find a way to use it or let someone else have it. It does look forlorn sitting there.

RoeH said...

I want one of those.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh, I'd keep it! Maybe you have a church you can call to see if they have some young people looking for odd jobs to do some of the clearing for you.

Paula said...

I vote keep it. Nice yard decoration.

Pat MacKenzie said...

I think if you're no longer using it it might be time to pass the happiness along. Someone else might get great pleasure out of using it for a planter to beautify their yard, or, like you, as a unique fire pit.

Lori said...

I love potbellied stoves. I would keep it.

Lucy said...

Tarrytarre, that is what has happened to Joe and I and it just doesn't seem right. I know it happens to all of us. Sounds like you had a lot of enjoyment while you could. Thanks for hanging in there with me through thick and thin with my blog problems.

Mevely317 said...

Gosh, I hope you can find someone to clear the overgrowth! Here in Phoenix, it's a struggle to find anyone who wants to do yardwork (aside from the giant landscape companies that charge boo-coo bucks.)
I've no words of advice, but would be loathe to part with that sweet stove. It's pretty endearing!

Hollie said...

Oh I love it!! I wish I had one like it as well!!

Weekend-Windup said...

You have found a wonderful pot to put fire on night. But need to be careful since lot of bushes are around it. Have a nice night always!

It happened to visit your blog. I'm very much impressed and enjoyed reading your posts and pictures. I'm following your blog now to come back to your site again. I'm glad to invite you to visit my blog, leave your valuable comments and follow my blog at "Join this site"

http://www.weekend-windup.com/

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
It's funny that you did this post because we were just given a new fire pit from my sister-in-law because she was downsizing and didn't need it. Husband likes it, it's one of those new ones. But that old stove!!! Oh my gosh, I love it! I don't think I would give that away. You don't see them around any more. It's what we call a "classic" around here.

love,
~Sheri