Sunday, June 29, 2014

SPEED BUMPS & ROAD WORK & TICKETS


Orange barrels dot the landscape. There is alot of road work going on around here. Detours are everywhere, taking you to out of the way places. It takes a painstakingly long time to go from one side of town to the other. On ramps and off ramps to major highways are being redone. Lanes are being widened. Sidewalks and angled parking are being put in. One area of town is adding a roundabout. And near us they are rebuilding and repairing bridges. All of this has changed the traffic patterns and has made for a congested daily commute. People are frustrated. Cops have stepped up their game hoping to nab those not wearing their seat belts or speeding. Just the other day... one pulled me over, far away from the construction zones... for going 5 mph over the limit of 45, on a back country road. I understand the need for safety... but 5 mph over??? I've seen folks going much faster, believe me, on that same stretch of road. And I bet they've never seen those flashing lights, telling them they're in trouble. Even though, they should have. Come on. I'm an old lady. I meant no harm. I was on my way to Walmart. Give me a break. Fortunately... he did. My information was in order and I had no previous citations. So the nice police officer left me off with just a warning. Thank goodness for small favors. Ever since my uniform encounter, though... speed has been bumped off my radar. I have been creeping along, out there on the road... so much so... that cars are now passing me where they probably shouldn't... going faster than ever. Where are the cops? Next thing you know I'm going to get a ticket for going too slow, while all these other guys speed off to their destination. Have you ever gotten a ticket?


16 comments:

Tassell, Tea pot, and life down under said...

I can relate to that. Sometimes I wonder why police are no where to be seen when some ratbags are around posing some danger to other motorists.
I think it's better to be on the safe side by doing the speed limit.

Enjoy your weekend.

Hollie said...

I've had a speed warning citation but not an actual ticket. The hubs got a seat belt ticket a couple weeks ago.

Hollie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said...

Once for coming to a rolling stop. I told him I would not argue with him but I was sure I stopped, completely. I was younger then.. He gave me a warning to.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never gotten a speed ticket, but like you I've seen plenty that should have gotten them and didn't. People are always passing me. I meet up with them at the stop lights, so they didn't really get any further along due to their speed either. You do have a lot of road work there. It must be terrible. Take good care.

jack69 said...

Oh yes you describe the feelings of many who get the wrong side of the slogan"Protect and serve", I do not like the attitude of the day :"Us against them."
Yes I have had about 4 tickets in my 75 years... None serious, but a couple completely frustrating and WRONG!

Mevely317 said...

Boy, you hit the nail on the head, Taryterre! One of my all-time pet peeves, people thinking they're Dale Earnhart, Jr. or something. 4-way stop runners are commonplace, as well. And of course, there's never a police officer around to witness their bad behavior.
5 mi. over the speed limit? Geeze; that fella must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

I was stopped last year for a burned out license plate light. Seriously, I didn't know my license plate even had a light!
Thankfully, he too let me off with a warning.

Back Porch Writer said...

Oh I have been pulled over. I'm usually going too fast for the lower zones. lol But it has been a while. I probably just stirred up the evil spirits by saying it's been a while and I'll get one tomorrow! lol. Five miles over is a bit extreme. He must have been under his quota. lol

Cindi said...

Yep..yrs ago...going way too fast. I think 10 over. I didnt even pay attention I was getting pulled over, until our youngest who was about 5 at the time, told me that there were red lights flashing ..."Mom look at the red lights"....lol

betty said...

Glad you were able to just get a warning and not a ticket. It is hard with construction and detours; I remember traveling across country and running into construction zones and slowing it down on when we would reach our destination.

No, thankfully, I haven't gotten any tickets. Hubby got a ticket in a "sting" operation type thing but when he went to fight it, the police officer didn't show up so it got off his record, no fine paid (I may blog this down the road). We do live though right by where there is a speed trap and we see lots of tickets written when the officers are working. One time I heard the police man tell the guy that he was going 58 (speed limit 25).

betty

Jon said...

I'm glad that you only got a warning rather than a ticket. Cops seem to be notorious for pulling over the wrong people. They'll stop an innocent person like yourself for going 5 miles over the speed limit - - while the drug-crazed morons ZOOM by.

I hate road construction. Texas is absolutely notorious for it. It's the worst place on earth, but they have the best highways in the country.....go figure.
The road construction in my tiny hick cowtown has been going on for a year already.

Paula said...

Yep and it cost me a pretty penny. It's hard to keep my foot off the gas in this area because the big pick-ups are on my tail and I just know the driver is saying "if you can't drive it lady, park it".

Lori said...

I feel your pain! They are deep into the construction of two more bridges over the Ohio River between Louisville and Indiana here right now. We currently have three bridges, and they are building one more in the downtown area and another one on the East End of town. They are needed, but the construction can get aggravating at times.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre, there is a lot of road work being done in my town too, and it is frustrating. I'm so glad you got a break in this situation. I guess we both got breaks lately - I just went to the store and left my wallet in the shopping cart. When I went back to see if it was there, some nice lady and her kids returned it to the store manager.

Angels are watching over us, my dear.

Have a great week.

love,
~Sheri

Pam Kessler said...

I got a ticket on the PA turnpike a few years ago. There is ALWAYS stupid road work on the outerbelt here. I think they just go around in a big circle and fix one tiny bit at a time. Drives me nuts!

Norma Richards said...

It must’ve been an uncomfortable encounter for you! But at least it taught you a lesson to become vigilant on the road and the area's speed limit. Seeing others committing violations is no excuse to stop driving safely. All the best!

Norma Richards @ Just Bail Bond