Saturday, July 19, 2014

AN ANNIVERSARY, CLEANING UP AND PRIME RIB WITH CAKE


We went out to a restaurant by the lake, a day early, to celebrate our anniversary. The lunch crowd had just left and it looked like we had the place to ourselves. Just the way we like it. But... after we ordered our meal and were settling in to eat it.... there was suddenly a whole lot of banging coming from the kitchen. Maybe remodeling or perhaps something else? Whatever it was... it startled us. Then... there was a loud whirring sound, nearly on top of us... made by folks vacuuming the dining area. So much noise, that at times you couldn't hear yourself think. At first it was funny, and just a tad bit annoying. We thought they'd go away. However, they were persistent. They were doing such a thorough job cleaning the tables and floor, practically in our face... that it got ridiculous. I was going to invite them home, to work on our place... But suddenly a fly on the wall appeared. Apparently it wanted to hone in on our conversation as we dined.We weren't in the mood for a Ménage A Trois (though a glass of wine would have helped)... so I asked for a fly swatter to squash the fly, so we could eat in peace. Instead I got a chuckle from our waitress. Probably a faux pas on my part, asking for the swatter, do you think? Dead flies don't make good meal companions, I should have known. But neither do live ones flying around. Then... we quietly asked ourselves, why are we spending so much money for this meal out... when the intimacy of our window seat, is being ruined by the intrusion of a couple of seemingly nice ladies, just trying to do their jobs. Seems to us they could have been a tad bit more respectful of our rented space, until we finished the meal. Or perhaps it was our fault because we should have told them, upfront... it was a special occasion. (What do you think?) I will say the prime rib there was delicious... and the lemon berry cake for dessert, didn't disappoint. It was scrumptious... every single bite, though not made on site. 


So with another meal under our belt, we added another year to our marriage calendar. But... it wasn't the intimate dinner we had hoped for. 

19 comments:

jack69 said...

Maybe not what you expected, but the occasion was still special. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

The thought goes thru my mind, "Plans of mice and men".

But it really is hard to ignore continued interruptions.
Thank goodness the food DID NOT disappoint... Nice to have at least a PLUS on the score card!

Jon said...

It's such a shame that your anniversary meal was ruined by blatant rudeness (those people sound like my neighbors), but I'm at least glad that the food was good.

You deserve to have another anniversary meal at home. I know it's not as much fun as going out, but at least you'll have peace and hopefully no flies.
Happy anniversary!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Anniversary! What a blessing to celebrate another year together ! Glad the meal was good even if the atmosphere wasn't.

Hollie said...

Happy Anniversary!! How RUDE!! They could have been more considerate of you guys!!

Funny in My Mind said...

As a restaurant owner, there is absolutely nothing okay with any of your dining experience! I beg you to call and speak to a manager or owner, do not accept a free meal (or it looks like you were complaining just to get one) and explain that it is unacceptable to endure such noise and rudeness during a meal. They need to be aware that that it is never okay during open hours to clean (unless with a Bisell hand broom and not under guests feet!) The fly situation is tricky. We get them too and I would rather hand a guest a swatter than kill a fly near their food.
Here's the thing, food is expensive and customer service has gone to hell so you should stand up for yourself at the time, not later.
I have asked employees at restaurants not to mop with Pine Sol (overwhelming) right next to our table (she laughed and we walked out mid meal) had them vacuum around our feet (asked them to stop- they did)and asked the kitchen help to watch their language and lower their voices. I enforce the same rules of my own employees and we are the best restaurant in town (we are told this by many people daily)
So call me picky but if you command respect, politely, you should get it or spend your money where you will.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, this is one of my pet peeves, Taryterre......when people sweep or mop or vacuum when you're eating a meal at a restaurant. I know they have to do their jobs, but I think it is disrespectful to the customer. Who wants to eat a meal when the vacuum is going or sweeping and mopping is taking place? We might as well have ate at home haha. So sorry for this experience on such a special day. And Happy Anniversary to one of my favorite people in blog land.

love,
~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Seriously!?! I was shaking my head, wondering when Alan Funt and the crew from Candid Camera showed up.

Glad to hear your meal was delicious, but ya -- I'd share with the restaurant's manager (or home office).

Happy belated Anniversary!!!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

happy birthday! i think the cleaning should be done BEFORE the restaurant opens!

Lucy said...

Happy Anniversary, late!!! Sounds like food was good. I would be like you on the noise and fly. I would not like it..

Lucy said...

I left one but not sure it will show up. I would not like what you 2 had to put up with. Late Happy Annivesray.

Jean said...

Happy Anniversary, your meal looks good. I have had that to happen at a few places we ate at, but they used a small sweeper vacuum that didn't make much noise. Take care. Jean

TARYTERRE said...

In all fairness to the restaurant it was a small sweeper, but it was NOISY.

betty said...

Happy belated anniversary! Even though the sweeper was a small one, still not the best to have cleaning done while you guys were dining. I like Funny's comment; I think you need to address this to management/owner. Wonder how many other times this has happened and people don't come back then to the restaurant?

Wishing you lots of more years together!

betty

Paula said...

Wishing you many more anniversaries. We've had so many flies around this area lately I've threatened to take a fly swatter with me. I just may do it sometime in one of the fast food places we frequent.

Roses around the door... said...

Happy anniversary, i think i might of got up from my seat and walked out! At least you enjoyed the food, best wishes to you both xx

Rose said...

Happy Anniversary!

The establishment should have picked up your tab to apologize for the noise.

Nonetheless, a special day for the both of you!

Happy, Happy!

Lori said...

Well Happy Anniversary!! I wish your dinner out could have been more pleasant. I think I would have had to have said something to the management. I would have complimented them on the food, but said that the atmosphere left a little to be desired. :)

Sheila Y said...

Happy Anniversary! Wishing you many, many more! Sorry the restaurant atmosphere wasn't so great. Sheila

Barb said...

Happy Anniversary. I'm new here, but enjoying reading your posts. We'll celebrate our 48th in August. I want some of that cake!