Monday, July 28, 2014

CATASTROPHE IN THE KITCHEN


My husband and I are getting older. And with that comes a bit of forgetfulness. We have been eating out a lot, for a number of different reasons.  So we decided to spend the past weekend eating at home, instead. One of our favorite things to have during the summer months, is a recipe I got for Italian Sausages, years ago. It requires a yellow, orange, red and green pepper. One large Vidalia onion. Canned or store bought stewed tomatoes. And a big pan to dump it all in. Usually when the veggies are cooking I add the sausages to the mix so the flavors blend. For some reason my hubby got in on the act as I was making this, this time. He suggested we cook the sausages in their own pan and add them to the pepper mix later. I wasn't crazy about the idea, but said okay, I'd try it. WHY, I don't know? So... I put the pepper concoction on the stove to cook down. About a half an hour later... I turned the heat on the peppers to a simmer and I took out another pan to put the sausages in and turned them on medium. Then... I went to watch the evening news with my hubby. I don't know if the news was boring or if we were just tired.... but sleep overtook us. We both dozed off with the stuff cooking on the stove. I'm not sure how much time had passed... but suddenly a funny smell woke me up... as my hubby continued to snore away. It took me a few moments to realize something was burning. (This panicked me because I had lived through a stove fire, a few years back.) So I jumped up... and rushed into the kitchen... to see those sausages... burnt almost to a crisp. I didn't think I could salvage any part of them. I was so mad at myself. We had looked forward to this meal all day. Disgusted I took them out of the pan, but quickly realized if I split them in half... there might be some meat on them to eat. What little there was... I smothered with the veggies, and we had dinner. The burnt parts I cut up in small pieces to put down the garbage disposer. But my hubby tried one piece. and insisted I try one too. And believe it or not, they weren't half bad. Either that, or we were still hungry from the slim pickin's on our plates. Vegans we are not. Whatever the reason... we snacked on these very burnt pieces of Italian Sausages. I told my hubby NEXT time the sausages will go in the BIG pan with all the peppers. And he agreed. "No more burnt meat." And hopefully, next time we cook here at home.... we'll manage to stay awake... so the stove doesn't catch on fire. Have you ever had a catastrophe in the kitchen? 



14 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm with you the sausage should go in the big pan with the rest. When I cook mine I brown the sausage with the onions and the peppers and that melds the flavors together then add tomatoes and let simmer together for awhile. You've made me very hungry now for dish. I have leftovers from the week end and had planned on a cabbage ham and potato dish next but think I'll revise that just a bit and have sausage next. Ah. the power of suggestion!

Rose said...

I seem to prepare mine the same way as MA. Adding cabbage is a great idea too.

I've burnt a few meals. I learned to always put the stove timer on for everything.

Jon said...

What a disaster! I can definitely feel your pain - I love peppers and Italian sausage.

I've done the exact same thing several times. A few weeks ago I bought a huge, frozen, expensive gourmet pizza. I put it in the oven and fell asleep for two hours. When I woke up the house was filled with smoke and the pizza was burned to a crisp. It looked like a black pancake.

Ellen in Oregon said...

Nothing more aggravating than having a meal you were looking forward to go up in smoke. There is actually a culinary name for those tasty burnt bits that escapes me at the moment. I also brown the sausage before adding the tomatoes like some of the others commented. Glad nothing caught on fire. The heat we are having this Summer is always making me doze off without warning. My oven's timer is pretty quiet, so I bought an old fashioned wind-up timer with a really loud alarm to make sure I get things out of the oven/stove on time. I think the occasional disaster happens to the best of cooks. As for getting older - aren't we all?

betty said...


Glad you were able to salvage the meal and to eat most of the burnt sausage. Honestly, after I nearly burned down the house reading a good book and had potatoes cooking on the stove and forgot them, now I set a timer if I have something cooking on the stove. I don't rely on my memory any more. When I was growing up, my mom had put on a pot with sausage to cook while we were at church. She had done it before (I know, bad thing to do) but she put it on low with plenty of water and she thought it would be okay except it was an extra long church service and all the water cooked out of the sausage. Started to have a lot of smoke, but no fire yet. Had smoke damage but thankfully nothing else. She learned her lesson. Nothing else ever cooked on the stove if she wasn't home.

betty

Paula said...

Glad everything turned out okay and your house is safe. John and I eat at the hospital cafeteria a lot now that we are older. They have good food since they have a chef, we get a good discount, and its right down the street.

Red Rose Alley said...

Hahaha Taryterre, I love your stories. I'm sorry the sausages burnt, but you got a funny story out of this. Yes, I've burnt things before, and it gets me mad because I don't like to waste food, but sometimes things just happen. That was a great idea to use whatever was left from the sausage and add them to the pot. And by the way, this looks delicious. I make sausage all the time, and I'm going to try making this sometime. What's really strange is that my son just bought yellow, green, and red bell peppers at the store, but I don't have any sausages to go with it hahaha.

Loved the story, my friend.

~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Oh ya, I can empathize. But the award for the latest, greatest fiasco must go to my hubby -- who dozed off while making hard-boiled eggs. (I didn't know eggs could explode!)

Your menu sounds really good; so glad you were able to salvage the sausage ... crisps and all!

Mevely317 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said...

Believe it or not I have not. Close I must say but saved the boiling nearly dry eggs in the nick of time. That was 2 weeks ago. I want another electric egg cooker. Did I tell you Spunky likes deviled eggs now. He hears me cracking them and comes running.

Carol Z said...

Add me to the list. I was making a company dinner of lamb chops, using the broiler in the stove. One of my guests wanted hers really well done and the fat from the lamb caught fire. The meat was okay and thankfully, the kitchen didn't go up in flames, but I am so careful now when I am cooking.

Barb said...

There's a moral in this story: don't rest while cooking!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I have been known to leave a burner on, but that's after I've finished cooking. It's getting scary what I forget these days!! Glad you salvaged some of your dinner.
Have a nice weekend!

Tassell, Tea pot, and life down under said...

Funny but a little scary too. I don't like taking a nap when there's something cooking in the oven or the stove
You did a good job though in salvaging whatever was left of it. Have a good weekend.