Friday, September 12, 2014

FREE OF CHARGE


My Motorola Droid Global cell phone had a meltdown. It is five years old. Back in the day it was the best that money could buy. And I thought it would last forever.  Unfortunately though, it started to randomly make calls from my contact list without me lifting a finger. It seemed possessed going up and down through the list. Calling and hanging up before anybody answered. Then it went through my apps like a madman searching, searching, so the page kept scrolling without me doing a thing. It got so bad I couldn't even use the darn phone. It had a mind of it's own and didn't want to cooperate. I tried powering it down. That didn't work. Then I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in. That worked for a few minutes, then it went back to craziness. I took it to the Verizon store figuring they'd have a solution. They did. They wanted me to upgrade to a newer phone. A Samsung Galaxy 4. I resisted this because a) I didn't want to give up my qwerty keyboard and b)  I knew it was going to cost me money. First they told me those kind of keyboards were obsolete and I needed to get with the program. But then they said, there was good news. Because we had taken insurance out on the old Motorola phone and it malfunctioned... it would be upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy 4,  free of charge.  That's right, FREE. And it had so many new features it wasn't funny. Plus it was 4G. So I reluctantly accepted the deal. Though I worried about my ability to understand the newer technology. I am happy to report, two weeks later, I'm no longer scared of what I don't know and am instead thrilled by what I do. I love my new Galaxy 4 and feel in step with the millennial crowd. But according to my daughter I shouldn't. She says my phone is no big deal because she has a newer version, The Samsung Galaxy 5. And supposedly mine is nothing compared to that. Gosh makes me long for the days when I had a landline and a phone was just a phone. No bragging rights, required.

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a blessing you were able to replace your phone for free. My phone is approaching 5 years and I'm hoping it doesn't go haywire as I'm sure I didn't take any insurance out on it. It seems there is always going to be something better out, but I can't afford to keep up with it.

betty said...

Wise with the insurance! I know we have it on son's phone (he has a history of problems with phones) but maybe we'll add it to our phones down the line. Glad you got a new phone and that you are getting used to using it. It is amazing what the technology is doing these days with them. Enjoy!

betty

Mevely317 said...

I know, right? It never fails to amaze me when Apple debuts their latest and greatest(?) and folks camp out overnight.... a 'chick magnet' perhaps? I don't get it.

I loved my little Droid, but it finally got to the point it wouldn't/couldn't hold a charge. Like you, I got a smokin' deal on the Samsung 4. So far, so good. But gosh, I really miss hearing that 'Drooooid' announcing a text message.

Jon said...

Your phone definitely needed an exorcist - - but I'm glad to know there is a happy ending.

jack69 said...

Sure makes an old man smile. I lost my hearing before the advent of the magic phones. I try to assist Sherry in wading thru the Galaxy,4,5, or what ever she has TWO of since we always had two hers and mine. Now she has a hers and hers.

But You also spin a good tale. Always enjoy reading.

I have lost two comments on this wonderful new age stuff. And I do love it when it works… But tonight ……

Paula said...

Oh these daughters. Mine went truck shopping with me and you should see the things she thinks I need. Didn't find one, seems everyone has stopped making the small ones like I like.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean about the landline phones. I still have mine, and tell you a secret.....I don't like cell phones too much because it's just one more thing that we'll have to upgrade when something new comes around. Good luck with your new phone. They are like computers and everything else, they break down - and at the worse times. You are such a trooper, Taryterre, and I admire your persistence in getting things done.

love,
~Sheri

Pam Kessler said...

Hey, you're one or two steps above me. I have a Galaxy 2. Glad you've adapted to your new fangled technology :)