Monday, September 29, 2014

SOCCER GRANDMA


When The World Cup was televised, I couldn't wait for it to end. It seemed to go on forever and a day. I had never been to a soccer game in my whole life. And admitted to anyone who would listen I didn't like soccer. The reason being  I grew up with baseball and football.  But my granddaughter plays soccer. So last month I was invited to one of her games. They were to play on Field One, which is in close proximity to the parking lot, at a local elementary school. So that way... I didn't have to walk too far, to attend. Because at my age, my legs are no longer capable of taking me to the places I want to go, if too much walking is involved. I brought my fold up burgundy chair and plopped myself down on the sidelines, where others were positioning themselves to watch. Both of my daughters were there, (a wonderful treat for me) ...  and they insisted on mothering me... ( a tad bit irritating). They told me to hold an umbrella to shield myself from the sun. I thought that sounded silly. But it just so happened, it was 90 degrees out there, even in the shade... and I felt like I was melting. According to my youngest daughter who lived in Phoenix, Arizona for a while, everybody there carries an umbrella to shade themselves. So she wanted me to do it. She was worried I might have heatstroke. I have to admit, when I tried it,  it took the edge off the bright sunshine and made the outdoor venue a little more tolerable. The game started and I settled into the rhythm of the kids footwork as they ran up and down the field. Some of them looked bedraggled, after a while, because of the heat. So I was happy to see the coaches keeping the children, hydrated.  I don't understand the complexities of the sport. And I sometimes thought... the parents cheering on the kids, were a little too focused on scoring and winning. But I enjoyed the overall game and took a ton of pictures of my granddaughter doing her thing out there on the soccer field. Unfortunately I can't share them with you here because my older daughter doesn't want any pictures of her family posted online. And I have to respect her wishes. Such a shame, though. I'm a proud grandma who opened her mind to something new, soccer.  And found out I liked it. IMAGINE that? Have you ever found out you actually liked something you thought you didn't?


9 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Using that umbrella in the sun is a great idea. I've found that when it comes to sports there are a lot of them I wouldn't watch at all if they didn't involve my family. When one of the grands play a sport then I like it. Otherwise forget it. Glad you enjoyed your time at the soccer field.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
It sounds like you had a great experience. Guess what, Jess played soccer when she was little and she was so fast that she scored four goals in one game! There was no stopping her that day. The umbrella was a good idea to keep the sunshine off your face. How nice that you got to spend time with your daughters. I chuckled because I used to always tend to my mom's needs whenever we were together too. I never even thought about if it was annoying to her hehe. Loved your story today, and it made my day.

love,
~Sheri

betty said...

What a great adventure you undertook to see your granddaughter play! Glad you enjoyed the time spent watching the game as well as time with your family! The umbrella is a great idea! I don't know much about soccer myself. I watch the teams practice as I'm walking Koda, they seem to know what they are doing, so I think that's all that matters, LOL :)

betty

jack69 said...

Ah ha! The Grandloves can rearrange one's life, that is for sure.
the Umbrella is a great idea in the sun, for sure.
It is good that the daughters like to mother a mother. ENJOY IT, not everyone has that opportunity!
Love from a WET Melbourne, FL

Mevely317 said...

Soooo glad I'm not the only one who barely tolerated the World Cup! Growing up, the girls athletic program in our school consisted of square dancing and rope climbing.

I'll bet your granddaughter was thrilled to have you watch her play! Snazzy umbrella, by the way!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I used to take an umbrella when my son played baseball on those sunny 90+ degree days. They really help!
I don't know much about soccer, but I remember years ago hating football but once I started watching a few times I ended up liking it a lot. Glad you had a fun day with your family. I know your granddaughter loved having you there watching.

Carol Z said...

Not an activity, but not that long ago I realized I like brussell sprouts and choose to eat them after years of thinking I disliked them. Glad you had a good day at the game.

Hollie said...

I just can't handle the heat. Another reason I love fall so much. LOL I have actually done the same thing. Think I hate something until I try it! LOL Glad you enjoyed it!!

Paula said...

Glad you got to go and enjoy your grandkid's sport. I never did like shrimp and mushrooms. How could I have been so stupid?